Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I have been running for only 5 weeks I am currently just running long runs I will run one day and then have 3-4 days rest to let my legs heal I am running 8-14 mile on these long runs at 10 minute miles is this too much and should I focus on more regular runs and a shorter distance ?

thanks

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
I would spread the running load over the week by running more frequently but less resting. You will be less likely to get injured and set yourself back

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will take this on board thanks I just run until I feel fatigued ha no real idea of what to do as I’m new to running but always been active in some sport so just assumed the further I run the better

·
Registered
482 Posts
Try running 5k (3.1 miles) 3 times a week (mon, wed, fri) to see how you get on with that. You will be able to build on it by increasing the miles on your 3rd run of the week, to something like 4 miles. Then in time that will be increased to 5 miles, etc.

This may seem easy to start with, but your muscles need to be conditioned to running, as you will end up experiencing injuries as mentioned above.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yea, you are definitely running too much!

You should never have to take 3-4 days off to rest, even when you are fairly new. That is definitely saying you are running too much. I would spread it out to 3-4 days of running, leading you a day in between to recover after each run in the beginning.

Start with something manageable. Maybe 2.5-3 mile runs 3-4 times a week, and slowly build each week, adding 1-2 miles. Once you're up to about 20 miles consistently SLOWLY add to your long run.

This strategy is the foundation of building your aerobic base, which should be done first before any long run, tempos or speed.

If you want to see the benefits of building your aerobic base, I'll leave a link on here. This weekend I am also putting out a video targeting exactly how to build your aerobic base in a smart and consistent way. Consistency is key. So subscribe if you like the video and want to see more!

Cheers!
Matthew Twomey

1 - 7 of 7 Posts