Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I try to do at least one session a week where i train in some sort of race mode. admittedly, there is nowt like having a number on to make you go faster but generally, i try to make one of my sessions a of time trial test of sorts.

e.g. i will run 3 or 5 miles on a local route and tiem my laps and overall time etc.

do peeps on here consider this as good a form of training as "say" doing intervals or 40 metre bursts or whatever? or would you say these are only good for a self test?

i.e. yesterday, i did a 35 mile out and back cycle ride circa 2 hours and when i got back i did a 3 mile run and i timed the run, would i have been better to do a longer run with some intervals thrown in?

BTW my legs are a bit hurty today and little ollie is allowing an average 5 hours sleep per night which is not helping my training plan:(

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I guess my tempo and/or speed sessions are a tester session for my race fitness and I do each of these sessions weekly.
I don't do long runs at race pace though.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
races will take a lot out of you, be they organised events, or personal time trials. They are of course good to see how you're progressing and do help your race fitness, but personally I don't tend to do them very often. I tend to either run at race pace, for shorter than race distance, or longer than race distance at slower than race pace.

Some people swear by racing themselves fit... i.e. using regular races as a means of improving their fitness. Which can work, but I think has an inherent risk of injury :(

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
races will take a lot out of you, be they organised events, or personal time trials. They are of course good to see how you're progressing and do help your race fitness, but personally I don't tend to do them very often. I tend to either run at race pace, for shorter than race distance, or longer than race distance at slower than race pace.

Some people swear by racing themselves fit... i.e. using regular races as a means of improving their fitness. Which can work, but I think has an inherent risk of injury :(
good point,
during summer i was doing 2 cycling time trials per week and i gradually got slower, i think it was tiredness, so i eased off and just did turbo work with some painful interval sessions. this gave me an end of season boost but on the bike (other than crashing) the risk of injury is much less.

what distance would you run at race pace at if you were targetting 5k or 10k race/duathlon training?

i did a 23:30 for 5 miles on the back of a fairly hard 2 hour cycle yesterday as training and it was not too far shy of my best race time but i wonder if i'd kept it to maybe one mile, i could have done a faster run (pro rata)

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
My 10k times started to really improve when I stopped doing 10k's in training.

Having said that, with few races planned in the coming months, I may need to throw in the odd 10k time trial for myself to see where I am, as motivation might be a problem - normally I do one 5k trial a week as fast as I can, and that has kind of been doubling as my speedwork, and really helped more than trying to run the race distance in training.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
for a 10k, around 3miles? maybe up to 4... sometimes I'll push myself hard for 10k, but a little slower than race pace (5-10secs per mile).

For 5k pace? hmm I can't say I've done it as a single effort, I'd probably just break it up into smaller intervals, usually 800m @5k pace... that's not to say it's the best way to do it by any means! ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts