Runners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

After nearly 30 years of smoking followed by 2 years of little activity I was piling the pounds on and weighed in at just over 15 stone. I decided that in order to regain some dignity (and to keep up with my young family) I had to loose some weight. Around the same time my brother in law challenged me to enter a half marathon.

To cut a long story short, I finished my first ever half marathon in 2hrs 4 mins and have got the running bug really badly. I still haven't quite reached my target weight (another 5lbs to go) but I expect to reach that before I start my second half marathon in March.

All in all I'm very happy about myself at the moment and I've got boundless energy. Last night I chased my daughter round the village on her bike. Great fun for both of us! and although one of the older Dads at the school gate, I'm definitely now one of the fittest.

However, following a question from one of the girls tonight, I wonder if in fact she's right and I am actually a 'veteran'. In car terms I would need to have been built prior to 1905. I'm not a car but I was built prior to 1962. Does that make me a veteran in this sport?:embarrassed:

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Having only just found the benifits of regular running, I acheive PB's quite regularly at the moment and, according to this thread, I'm a veteran!

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
in answer to your question, yes you're a veteran, have a look on your entry form to see which category you fall into :) (i'm sure i've seen some events with V45 in addition to V40, V50 etc...)

That's right, it usually goes up in 5-year increments, starting at 40. But the American-influenced idea of starting vets at age 35 is creeping in. :eek: (It's always been 35 for the ladies).

·
Registered
105 Posts
OMG! I was 40 last week ... didn't feel remotely old until I just read this thread and realized that I'm a veteran!!!! :confused:

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Don't worry... being a lady Vet can be a good thing, there's often less competition within your catagory so you finish higher up the field ;)

I'm going into LV45 next month :rolleyes:

·
Registered
123 Posts
SarahE said:
OMG! I was 40 last week ... didn't feel remotely old until I just read this thread and realized that I'm a veteran!!!! :confused:
Ah but don't forget runners live longer than sedentary types (up to 11 years longer) so if you look at life expectancy and work back you are the same as a sedentary 29 year old.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Edward Chapman said:
Ah but don't forget runners live longer than sedentary types (up to 11 years longer) so if you look at life expectancy and work back you are the same as a sedentary 29 year old.
They say your as young as the woman you feel! Can I take the 11 years off Mrs Scr8pe's age? It'd make me a sedentary 29 too!;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts