Runners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm 34 years old and I've only recently taken up running after quitting football around 5 years ago, I've always looked after myself however always neglected cardio as it's something I've never enjoyed. Since the gyms closed around 8 weeks ago I decided to take up running and quickly got the bug for it, however my competitive nature is driving me to try and achieve a sub 50 10k which some of my friends can do.

I'm running on average around 40k a week now and incorporating some interval work and tempo runs, however I'm struggling to run at the required pace to achieve the sub 50 10k, my fastest time is currently 57 mins. How quickly will I be able to achieve the sub 50 10k and does anyone have any training tips?

Cheers

·
Registered
814 Posts
Find yourself an online training programme for 10 km. start from the beginning (since they usually assume you are doing some miles per week). Don’t be tempted to go fast all the time: easy to hard in 80/20 ratio. Don’t pace based on what you want, base on where you are now. Those are my tips.

Some people are naturally gifted and highly trainable. Or you could have lesser gifts but train up fast anyway. Or you could have neither of these. We can't say which mixture you have until you've put yourself through a cycle or two. But if you knew for sure you could achieve a challenge, it wouldn't be a challenge, right?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts