Runners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I usually go jogging at 6.30am for roughly 10 miles at about 1 hour and 30 minutes. I do this on empty, twice a week. I use this approach to try and burn body fat. I was doing it 3 times a week and dropped down to 61kgs. I am 5 foot 8. I've adopted this theory from when I used to do a weightlifting program. I would do early morning cardio but not for 10 miles, only about 5. I would also use whey protein before hand to prevent muscle loss. My nutrition following my 10 mile run for the day usually consists of:

8.30/9.00 – Bowl of shredded wheat with a banana and semi skimmed milk or rolled oat cereal with dried fruit.

11.30/12.00 – Wholegrain sandwich with mackerel or sardines and a portion of assorted vegetables.

14.30/15.00 – Two portions of assorted vegetables and a portion of sugar free jelly.

17.30/18.00 – Portion of wholegrain pasta or bulgur wheat with tuna and garlic/onions/tomatoes and a portion of fruit.

I add olive oil to a lot of my food, drink a fair amount of water and tea and will sometimes have another portion of sugar free jelly. When I can I change the tuna for chicken or lean red meat.

I follow the same diet on days where I don't run and will usually do a bit of moderate walking. I do feel tired during the day after a run. Some people have suggested that I am going catabolic through doing this but I am unsure. I am also unsure about how to fuel such a run so I would like to hear from you about this.

Many thanks,

Toni

·
Registered
220 Posts
My initial reaction is that there is no way that this amount of food makes up for the 1000-ish calories that a 10-mile run would burn. I'm not surprised you feel tired the day after a run. Depends what size "portions" you have, but the above can't be more than 2000 calories a day. Try using a programme like fitday.com to work out how many calories you eat, and where they come from (carbs/lipids/protein). I would be tempted to add some carbs to your 14.30 meal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Greg said:
My initial reaction is that there is no way that this amount of food makes up for the 1000-ish calories that a 10-mile run would burn. I'm not surprised you feel tired the day after a run. Depends what size "portions" you have, but the above can't be more than 2000 calories a day. Try using a programme like fitday.com to work out how many calories you eat, and where they come from (carbs/lipids/protein). I would be tempted to add some carbs to your 14.30 meal.
I think that the total amount of calories is roughly around 1600. By portions I mean 100g of tuna or 100g of pasta etc. I am planning on adding another slice of wholegrain for carbs with some cottage cheese as protein at about 20:30/21:00.

·
Registered
220 Posts
So... Your basic calorific requirement is about 2500. You run 3X10 miles a week, burning an additional 3000 cal or so. So you need about 3000 cal a day, and you wonder why you're tired on 1600?
Jeez...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Greg said:
So... Your basic calorific requirement is about 2500. You run 3X10 miles a week, burning an additional 3000 cal or so. So you need about 3000 cal a day, and you wonder why you're tired on 1600?
Jeez...
Well 2500kcals is an assumption for maintenance right? I only run 2 X 10 miles a week now. So lets say that is 2000kcals. Why would I need 3000kcals a day though? That sounds like somebody who is trying to bulk up through weight training. I can see that this would leave me with 2000kcals for the day which I think is what you are suggesting. However, as I don't have a high muscle mass do I really need that many calories.

I wish things could be more simple.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Luca Toni said:
Well 2500kcals is an assumption for maintenance right?
Right

Luca Toni said:
I only run 2 X 10 miles a week now. So lets say that is 2000kcals. Why would I need 3000kcals a day though?
2500 + 1/7th of 2000 = 2800 ish

Which isn't a millon miles away from the calculations on runningforfitness.com

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Greg said:
Right

2500 + 1/7th of 2000 = 2800 ish

Which isn't a millon miles away from the calculations on runningforfitness.com
Yes what you suggested was very close to what they threw up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Are you drinking enough both during exercise and afterwards? If you run over 1 hour you should think about using a gel or dextrose tablets as well as taking in liquid.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
boulders said:
Are you drinking enough both during exercise and afterwards? If you run over 1 hour you should think about using a gel or dextrose tablets as well as taking in liquid.
I drink water before and after but that is it. I should really be taking a bottle of water with me shouldn't I? What would these tablets do?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Gels or dextrose tablets will give you a glucose fix, a quick shot of energy that the body can utilise quickly. I personally only use gels when racing half marathons and above or when doing long runs in a mara schedule.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No.8 said:
Gels or dextrose tablets will give you a glucose fix, a quick shot of energy that the body can utilise quickly. I personally only use gels when racing half marathons and above or when doing long runs in a mara schedule.
Not really necessary for me then. I am going to up my food intake though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts