Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive currently got a Garmin forerunner 50 and really really want the 305 gps based one.

Problem is... how do i justify it to the mrs?

she's a runner.. .but not a techy gadget feind like myself...
so far its always gone like:

Me: but its gps
Mrs :|
Me: but its more accurate
Mrs: :| .... how much is it...
Me: £125
Mrs: :notrust:
Mr: That includes shipping
Mrs::evil:

any suggestions on what else i can try ??

·
Registered
264 Posts
Ahhh but you've already made the fundamental mistake, you've told her how much it is. Mind you, if she's a runner, she'd probably find out. When I bought my 405, I told the misses that it was just another sports watch that had a few more features than my current one. Not strictly a lie.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
It has a return to start function. This means when I run in a strange town I can always get back to the hotel. Oh, and you got a £750 diamond ring for your birthday.

So, may I get one darling

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I guess my question is, why do you have to justify it to your missus. If you work and can afford it, just buy it. Do you authorise all her purchases?

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
I guess my question is, why do you have to justify it to your missus. If you work and can afford it, just buy it. Do you authorise all her purchases?
It is called a partnership. What's mine is hers and what's hers is hers :p

Seriously, you don't understand why you would have to discuss a large purchase?

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
knock money off like i do, or say oh this thing i have had it ages :p

Say she can buy some clothes, that normally works with me... :p

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
It is called a partnership. What's mine is hers and what's hers is hers :p

Seriously, you don't understand why you would have to discuss a large purchase?

Yeah, I can see it if you are purchasing a house or a new car or something like that. Dunno, when I was married I wouldn't dream of telling my wife she could or could not buy something for herself, and she certainly wouldn't of thought it her place to tell me either. But then again, we both worked and once bills and important things were covered etc, we figured we could each do what we wanted with money we earned. Don't think I could personally be in a relationship where every non-major purchase needed to be discussed and authorised.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Your problem is buying the 305 which is hard to hide as it looks like a small laptop strapped to your wrist. She will assume it is expensive.
Splash out and buy the 405 which just looks like a cheap watch and tell the wife it came free with a magazine or something.

·
Registered
693 Posts
If I pass my driving test this weekend I'll be seriously tempted to treat myself to a Garmin!

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Your problem is buying the 305 which is hard to hide as it looks like a small laptop strapped to your wrist. She will assume it is expensive.
Splash out and buy the 405 which just looks like a cheap watch and tell the wife it came free with a magazine or something.
I like your thinking....;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I took the "you can't put a price on investing in your health" approach. Also worked with my new mountain bike in May, dont think it'll wash with the new road bike I want now.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
I took the "you can't put a price on investing in your health" approach. Also worked with my new mountain bike in May, dont think it'll wash with the new road bike I want now.
Like the thinking.

JB. On our current budget the Garmin was a major purchase. Mrs Hrun has never said no but it keeps the relationship healthy to ask.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Well it looks like I will be joining the 305 club very soon! Just sold my 201 for £50 so have some extra cash :D

Where is the best place to get a 305 then? I would get it from my local running shop but they are looking for £250 for it!

O.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks for the comments :) made me chuckle if nothing else

well ive bitten the bullet and ordered one...

but shhh! dont tell the mrs...

i may live to see tommorow :unsure:... but if not... RIP me and been nice knowing you :((

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
When I was looking:

Amazon : £139 direct

: £135 from a seller on amazon

Halfords : £139 collect from store if you can find stock as they have discontinued them.

This was for the 305 with HRM

1 - 20 of 62 Posts