Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This week I'm running a 2.8 mile route, and am building things up by 10% each week. I quite fancy a longer run once a week as plenty of you lot seem to, and have spotted that from work to home is about 5.5 miles. So here's the dilemma... how/when should I step up to a much longer run? Should I wait and just build up enough steam to run over five miles before attempting it, or give it a shot anyway but only do it once a week until I'm consistently managing that sort of pace? I'm getting itchy feet, that's all!

Hope this makes sense!

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
too much too soon is the way of injury.
alternatively you might be fine, hard to say really.

how often are you currently running ? & what distances ?
how much recovery do you need inbetween ?

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
As ed says, hard to say.

Why not start by running it once a week and shorten your other runs so the weekly mileage is similar. Then carry on with building your other runs back up b

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
You could always cut back a bit with your other runs and extend your longer run a bit? I'm guessing you've got the 5.5mile route to/from work in your mind... so why not just go for teh route... run part of it and walk the last bit home? as you progress you can reduce the distance you walk, increasing the length of the run!

As the others say though, it's very hard to say - some new runners would find they can cope with the increased mileage no problem, others will struggle to keep injuries at bay :(

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers, some good advice there, I like the idea of combining running and walking, that might be a winner. At the moment I'm running every day, normally first thing in the morning, then doing nothing other than 30 minutes on a cross trainer on a Sunday on the weekend. I've spent three weeks doing 2.5 miles and stepped up to 2.8 miles this week and haven't felt any pain or that it's a major struggle, hence me looking at stepping up to something a bit more challenging so soon,

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
tbh, at nearly 3 miles a day already.. i think you would prob be ok with going for the full 5mile.. just take it slowly the first few times

·
Registered
511 Posts
as a relative new starter to longer distances I would also say that you should think about building in some rest days on the days immediately after your new longer runs to give your body a chance to recover and adjust.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
as a relative new starter to longer distances I would also say that you should think about building in some rest days on the days immediately after your new longer runs to give your body a chance to recover and adjust.
agreed... i think you will find most people on here that do long runs will do them on a sunday with a monday being rest/ weights

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, my plan would be to do the five mile home on a Friday night, as I don't do anything on the Saturday at present and only a little bit on a Sunday.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Spot on. Go for it.

Welcome to the world of excessive running :)
Ha ha! Cheers!

As an aside, if I run home from work tomorrow would I be best advised to just have a short (1.5mile) run first thing in the morning (I'm normally running first thing at the moment), or nothing at all until the night time run?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Personally I would just do the evening run. Otherwise it is nearly 7 miles in a day.
Cool, I finish at 10pm now and then I'll be away. I'm actually really looking forward to it, rather than dreading it. Fingers crossed I manage it!

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Great stuff. Don't rush this one as it is the first time. Try to start of a little slower than you normally run and you should have the steam to get all the way.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cheers for asking!

Yeah, feel great, ended up sprinting the last 100m or so, and felt really strong over the last half mile, could have done a little bit more, might well add at the end of next week depending how I feel. Did the 5.5 miles in just short of an hour, which I was really pleased with - was aiming for the hour mark as it ties in with my shorter pace. Off for a good soak in the bath now though :d

Enjoy your weekend!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Good running Monk. Congrats.

Again, I would re-iterate what Hrun says about overdoing it, it is oh so easy to do especially when you hit some significant milestones like you just have, and end up injuring yourself.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts