Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi

Just found this forum by chance as I was looking for a running shop in my area but having no luck - tried yell.com but just keep getting Sports shops - and I would like to find a running shop so at least I know they are specialized.

Anyway I have entered the 10K for Bupa/Capital Help a London Child on 11th June - and have been training over the last 6 months - I could only run 30 seconds at the start but can now do 15 mins run/5 min walk/15 min run. I really just wanted some general advise on how to pace myself - as I've been really struggling over the last few weeks and just can't keep the pace up for more than 10 mins - so not quite sure what I'm doing wrong.

My aim is to power walk and run parts of the 10K - but wanted some advise on how to plan my 10k, should I maybe run for 10, walk for 5, run for 10 walk for 5 etc etc.

I know there will be some great advice on here so I will be back later to read - but thought I would say 'hi' at the same time. Also the other thing that is worrying me is 'going to the loo! whilst running :embarrassed: ...........do you time your meals the night before so hopefully you should be fine. I have proper running shoes, and dri-fit clothing but any other tips of what to do beforehand would be great and any pointers to certain area of this forum.

With thanks. Rosie

·
Registered
105 Posts
you are probably trying to run too fast, see if a slower pace is more comfortable. i can't really advise you about run walk intervals but maybe someone else can.
as for the loo, generally i wouldn't eat anything less than 3 hours before a race. try to have a good breakfast, cereal or meusli and toast so that you won't feel hungry. drink lots of water the day before to be well hydrated, and sip on the day up to maybe 30 mins before the start. make sure you have visited the loo 2 or 3 times in the morning to get rid of excess waste, a cup of tea may help if it's a problem or a little jogging on the spot.
enjoy your day, the excitement of the race will make you do better than you thnk, but make sure you don't get carried away by too fast a start. better to go off too slowly and then overtake the rest when they realise their misake.

look forward to hearing how you got on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Christy for dropping me a reply. I'll make a note of what you have said and yes will come back and let you know how I've done.

It is quite exciting as I've never done anything like this before but gave myself two goals this year - to do something for charity and set a personal goal that I could achieve something completley different for myself for the year.

I know I will probably power walk most of it - but will certainly will be running a lot as well- and as you say the actual 'day' will probably carry me those few extra minutes when running.

Yes porridge is on the menu for breakfast - and lots of pasta the night before - I would love to carry on running afterwards so hopefully next year I will be able to go that extra bit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
How did you get on in the end Rosie? The weather that day was sooo Hot, in the end I decided against wearing the Bupa Tee and went with my Run London top instead.

Only having one water station in that weather was a bit off too, I saw a good few people just collapse in front of me..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts