Runners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use a Garmin 305 & love it,the problem i have is that i don't really understand computers etc, So can anyone tell me how to view my maps in Google Earth,do i need further software than what Garmin provided,help please :(

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
You need to do the following, if you want to view routes you've ran in Google Earth, which is what I'm assuming you want to do.

1) download sporttracks software from here SportTracks I use this in addition to the Garmin training software. It can give you some nice stats. the reason you need this programme is so that you can save your runs as a GPX file. You simply hit export and save to your computer.

2) Next, visit the website GPS Visualiser GPS Visualizer Simply hot browse, find the saved GPX file and hit the go button and it will present the route in Google Earth as well as many other formats.

The reason you need the first programme is that the Garmin software won't allow you to save the individidual gpx files, or if it does I haven't figured out how to do it.

Let me know if you have any problems and I'll try to help. Hope this works for you. Both programmes are free.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I run 2 computers a PC & a laptop, would i need to stick the GPX file on a memory stick to view it on both using this way or can i upload stats like with motionbased ?

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I'm not sure. I've never used motionbased. I guess if you wanted to view it on both pc and laptop then yes, best to save to memory stick.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Boy that sounded complicated.

For Garmin training center, download the latest version and then on the file menu it is view:view in google earth

For Sporttracks it is export:google earth

Easy as that. At least on my computer.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Boy that sounded complicated.

For Garmin training center, download the latest version and then on the file menu it is view:view in google earth

For Sporttracks it is export:google earth

Easy as that. At least on my computer.
Yeah, you could do that too ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK i downloaded the latest version as my laptop would'nt allow me to download sporttracks. I viewed last nights jog in google earth & my course is a series of bold black squares,is that normal ?

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I have tried to download software updates for the Garmin training software, but just get an error message saying "Invalid command line parameter". This happened on both my home lap top and work pc. What is going on? Why can't I install updates?

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
OK i downloaded the latest version as my laptop would'nt allow me to download sporttracks. I viewed last nights jog in google earth & my course is a series of bold black squares,is that normal ?

Don't use garmin much but I think the blocks are normal. You can click on a block for detailed info.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Don't use garmin much but I think the blocks are normal. You can click on a block for detailed info.
If you're talking about the blocks on the route visible in Google Earth these are markers and you can change them to something else.

Once you got Google Earth open, in the places pane right click on the run you want, go properties, style/color tab, share style button, then the button with what looks like a marker in it on the top right next to the name text bar, then select a new icon from the image library or select no icon to have no icon. Hit ok.

Job done!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts