Runners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok ive been reading a few forums and mags and alot of them say that before you stretch your meant to warm up first and then stretch then do your run. Now im kind of an embarrass easily type person so theres absolutely no chance of me doing any stretches in the middle of the street so was wondering if I could warm up in the house?

I have a rowing machine and exercise bike so could I warm up on those and if so for how long before I do my stretches.

Usually I do a few stretches for my calfs and then straight out the door and running soon as I hit my gate.

if someone could help me out with some ideas id appreciate it.

thanks

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I never warm up before a regular training run.

I tend to just take it nice and easy for the first 10-15 minutes.

But I always make sure I warm down and stretch properly after a run.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
I'm very similar... i'll just take it easier on the first 10mins of my run. I do try and stretch properly afterwards but after a minute or so all I can think about is food & shower :embarrassed:

I can't say I know all the ins and outs of warming up & down... but I'd say for long distance running the warm down is more important than the warm up. Of course if you're doing a sport which requires explosive power (court sports, footy or sprinting etc...) then you definately need to focus on warming up properly!!

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Same as Dave... I don't stretch before a regular training run, just take it reasonably easy until I've warmed up properly.

But it's different before a race, I always warm up properly with a gentle jog for 10 mins or so and then do a few stretches before the start... most other serious competitors do as well, so you wouldn't feel embarassed in that situation.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Trinity said:
But it's different before a race, I always warm up properly with a gentle jog for 10 mins or so and then do a few stretches before the start... most other serious competitors do as well, so you wouldn't feel embarassed in that situation.

Im the same before a race Trin.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well you lot havent helped at all then lol :)

I have been having problems with my Achilles on my right leg but only after about 2.5 miles and had put it down to my routine but if you all just take it gentle and then run I cant see that is the reason for my problems.

You say you start slow and build up but I can only run at about 10 minute mile pace so I couldnt get any slower unless I walked :(

Who would of thought running would be so complicated!!!!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
You could use a brisk walk to start with as part of the warm up, personally I always stretch for a good while before I run.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
I tend to go off my heart rate... While I don't do any stretching as such (though as with others - a race day is a completely different scenario!) I'll bounce around a bit until my heart rate is above 100, then start my run at around 135-140bpm before stepping it up after about a mile.

If you've got access to a HRM then maybe give it a try yourself? It may well be that a brisk walk serves you well as a warm up... over time though you'll progress and can rethink your routine. The achilles problem may just be your body still trying to adapt to the running? I know I've been able to feel mine a little since I stepped up with mileage recently.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
technium said:
Well you lot havent helped at all then lol :)

I have been having problems with my Achilles on my right leg but only after about 2.5 miles and had put it down to my routine but if you all just take it gentle and then run I cant see that is the reason for my problems.

Are you sure it's nothing to do with your running shoes? It's just that if it happens after about 2.5 miles every time then I wouldn't think it would be due to not stretching. If it was, then you would be more likely to feel the injury at other times, including non running situations

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks ya all, I might try a brisk walk round the block before running and see what happens.

I dont think my shoes can be the issue, 1 because I have had my gait etc analysed and was told my trainers (Asic Gel 1120) are fine for me and 2 surely it would affect both legs wouldnt it?

As I said I only seem to have a problem after a couple of miles but even now just sitting here I can feel my Achilles abit.

Ive spoken with a few sports physios about it over the phone and they suggest things like looking at posture and stuff which seems a waste of money, Someone suggested a Podiatrist who again I spoke with over the phone and they said I might need orthotics at £250+ which I cant afford so I just dont know who to believe or listen to.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
No, it wouldn't necessarily affect both legs if the problem was with your shoes... but as you have had a proper gait analysis, I agree it's unlikely to be the cause of your problem.

For a while now it seems to have been 'fashionable' to prescribe orthotics when runners are having any kind of injury problem, but from what I've heard from friends who have gone ahead with them, more often than not they are more trouble than they're worth.

It sounds to me like you would be better off seeing a sports masseur/physio for a few treatments. You need to find a good one though... through recommendation is always the best way.

It may seem expensive but if you can just have a few treatments and get some good one to one advice on stretching it will be money well spent

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
I have a 6 minute stretching routine which works on the main muscle groups.
I do that before and after each run.
When racing the warm up run will vary depending on the distance. As little as 9 minutes before my last Marathon and as long as half an hour on cold days for distances from 800m to 10K.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I'm afraid that I only ever warm up before a race. Easy running and basic stretching (calves/quads/hamstrings...). I've never warmed up for training runs. It's always been a case of out the door and away we go... Even on flat-out runs. :d

Over-stretching can weaken joints; and I've heard it said that there may even be an advantage (for distance runners) in having a certain amount of resistance to work against in the joints. Also, if you are running often enough, muscles and joints tend to maintain a fairly good level of "readiness"... Sort of semi-permanently warmed-up. ;)

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I like to just take it easy for the first mile or so rather than do a full warm-up, but that's a tad difficult at the moment because I live in a valley, so every bloody direction is uphill! heh :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone

Well yesterday I did the following

Got on cycle machine and cycled easy for 5 minutes then out the door and started running and when I got back I started on the cycle machine again for 5 minutes to warm down, then after 30 minutes rest I did a few calf scratches and that seemed fine.

But as ive said the problems arise when running 3 miles so next week im going to try that before my 3 mile run and see if that feels any better.

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Yes, if it felt good today, do that before your run. Let us know how it went.
Go easy on the warm up and if it hurts when running maybe skip the "cool-down" cycling bit...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts