Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a beginner what is your preferred method of being helped along the way by club members or running colleagues?

Being kindly " bullied" along?

Being told you are doing well..even if you are not?

Having someone run alongside you alll the way chattering inanely?

Chasing someone's rear end? (May depend on the rear end!!)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Squint said:
Definatly the latter for me, I have a very vivid imagination so any rear end will do.

Squint

Hopefully of the female variety Squint..........or at least it has to be for me!;)

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Ran for first time other night with club, and we all spread out, but at first was running along side others. I prefered it when I ran in the middle of everyone, don't want be bullied though.:)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dimple said:
Ran for first time other night with club, and we all spread out, but at first was running along side others. I prefered it when I ran in the middle of everyone, don't want be bullied though.:)

Did you enjoy it?
Going again?

We have a new lady coming tomorrow..does 2.5m max at the moment so she'll be coming to the speed/hill sessions which are hard of course but as we stay together they are more social and one can do what one wants to do at one's own best effort..with plenty of encouragement, laughs and ....stops!!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I run on my own and really quite like it like that. I do feel I would bennifit from someone nagging me to go out. I find it hard sometimes to stop being lazy and just get out there.
A friend I work with runs too and I find it easy to get her motivated and going so it would be nice to have someone do it for me.

I respond well to the bullying technique. I have trainned in a few sports and being told I'm doing well when I know I'm not just doesn't work for me. I need to be pushed to get the best out of me.

·
Registered
813 Posts
To improve my times I always imagine myself being chased by someone I don't want to be caught by, but on the other hand I don't mind running slower if it's someone nice!;)

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Bagpuss said:
To improve my times I always imagine myself being chased by someone I don't want to be caught by, but on the other hand I don't mind running slower if it's someone nice!;)

Nice to see your still visiting Lynn.

Things been going ok I hope...........

·
Registered
813 Posts
Dave said:
Nice to see your still visiting Lynn.

Things been going ok I hope...........

Thanks Dave, bit up and down the last few months, just getting back into it. I have stopped working shifts and find it harder to make time. But you will be glad to know that my alcohol intake is still very impressive!

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Steve said:
Did you enjoy it?
Going again?

We have a new lady coming tomorrow..does 2.5m max at the moment so she'll be coming to the speed/hill sessions which are hard of course but as we stay together they are more social and one can do what one wants to do at one's own best effort..with plenty of encouragement, laughs and ....stops!!!
I did enjoy it made a nice change, and am sure I ran faster than I normally do. Will def go again, but keep my own runs up too. The people at the club are really friendly.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
(Hello Bagpuss, hope you don't mind me almost pinching your name :embarrassed: )

In answer to the question, I HATE being told I'm doing well when I know I'm not. It feels really patronising, even when you know it's not meant to be.

For me, a combination of friendly bullying and inane chatter would probably be best, with the occasional "hey, that was good" when I actually did achieve something of note.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Definetely a mixture of friendly bullying and some1 to chase, i need goals i think and i'm quite competitive so some1 telling me i should be doing better will spur me on.

J

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Bagpuss said:
But you will be glad to know that my alcohol intake is still very impressive!
Well done....... thumbs_up.gif
It`s all about being consistant.................... Cheers 3.gif

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Someone, or a group to follow/chase... the occasional bit of chit-chat so I know they know I exist as a club member ;) and then praise if I do actually achieve something, but as has been said, being praised when you're actually performing badly is annoying and can easily feel patronising...

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
Someone, or a group to follow/chase... the occasional bit of chit-chat so I know they know I exist as a club member ;) and then praise if I do actually achieve something, but as has been said, being praised when you're actually performing badly is annoying and can easily feel patronising...
Richard, you're not a beginner anymore. Time to move on, mate. :d

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I don't like it when I am told to dig in especially when I can't dig anymore and my lungs are about to burst out of my body.

I can see the patting on the back as being patronising if you are already an established runner, but just starting off I don't think would be bad just as encouragement to keep them going and turn up again the next week :eek:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts