Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a watch to use on my training runs and through events, would like to be able to monitor heart rate, time and distance covered, on the fly without it being too large. I can deal with wearing a footpod (im presuming they just fit easily to trainers) but don't really like the idea of having to wear a chest strap.

Seems it would be a bit constricting as I usually wear under armour and would get in the way a bit.

I know most people on here like the garmins I just think they look a bit bulky. Not sure whether i'm just being fussy on the size or whether anyone has had problems with the extra weight.

Cheers
Aaron

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Sorry, I do not think there is a product that does what you want.

To measure HR you either strap a sensor for constant or grip sensors. There are watches which you touch but they only measure at that point.

To measure distance you need a footpod or gps. Footpods are not as accurate as they rely on a constant pace and stride.

For gps you either get a watch with built in gps or one with a seperate unit which you strap to your arm. The watch type look bulky but I do not notice the weight whilst I am running.

HTH

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Indeed Hrun is right... sadly there isn't (that I know of) a watch on the market that can continuously measure heart rate without a chest strap... there are watches available with metal contacts on, which you can hold your finger on and it will measure your HR, though obviously this would be pretty awkward to hold your finger(s) on it whilst running along!

The Garmin does look quite big in pictures, but for function it's fantastic, big easily readable display and not too weighty at all.

Footpods can be very accurate, there are different types - those like the Nike+ system, which is basically a glorified pedometer and works out distance based on something along the lines of AVERAGE STRIDE LENGTH x NUMBER OF STRIDES = TOTAL DISTANCE. There are more complex units that have a bit more science behind them and are more accurate at varying paces, I think they have sensors in them that detect the force/speed/acceleration or something of the foot. Though I'll be completely honest and say I have no experience of this type; only the Nike+ type which really didn't suit me (my stride length varies a lot from races to recovery workouts, so readouts for me could easily be 1/2mile off over a 4mile run)

If you're concerned about the look of the watch and it's size... the Garmin Forerunner 405 is a much sleeker and more 'normal' looking unit, though for HR it will still need a chest strap.

I can't see any problem in wearing your chest strap underneath your underarmour, in fact it'll probably make it even more comfortable! Though of course if you're worried about appearance and don't wear anything on top of the underarmour then yes, you'll probably have to put up with a weird bulge that looks a bit like a bra strap from behind :lol:

·
Registered
4,539 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
heartratemonitor.co.uk said:
Note - these units give heart rate / pulse "on demand" only - i.e. when you touch the sensors.
Aye... these are the jobbers I was referring too, could still potentially be useful to some though?

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
May sell my garmin still thinking about it.

Looking into how much to sell for second hand, its only got one scuff (from when i fell over) :(

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Probably want it for nothing :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts