Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yet another new to running post :d

This is my 4th week running 3 x a week.

The problem is that I can't run the whole way (3.5miles) as I keep getting a stitch. I find that sometimes (now this is going to sound weird) I forget to breathe. I really don't know how to control my breathing?!? :huh:

I have been going to the gym doing both resistance training and cardio so I wouldn't class myself as being unfit. But I have got zero stamina when it comes to running. How can I overcome this...

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Weyhey! I get first reply :)

Don't worry about your breathing at all, just try and think about something different, and in the event of stitch, try to breath out forcefully when the foot on the opposite side of the body to the stitch hits the ground (e.g. stitch in right side of chest, breath out when left foot hits the ground)

If you're struggling to complete your circuit in one go due to stitch, try slowing your running speed down, even if it feels like you could probably walk faster! keep the jogging/running sensation going regardless and you'll probably make the full distance on your first effort :) A good measure for running intensity is that for a normal run (as you're doing) you should be able to hold a full conversation while running without any real problem.

Give it a go and let us know how you get on ;)

·
Registered
707 Posts
Well one question would be how fast are you running? If you're running a bit too fast, ie all-out for the entire distance you might find that is what gives you the stitch. Other possibilities would be how long you're leaving between eating and running. I tend to try and have as empty a stomach as possible before heading out, which means atleast 4 hours after lunch, but you should try and eat a light, simple snack before heading out, such as fruit or something. Also, are you drinking too much/too little? Having a stomach full of liquid has the same effect as food. Also, perhaps your bowels are full? A PEP may be the answer. If all it is is your breathing, then perhaps taking along an MP3/other music player with some songs you think your breathing rate should match... that way trying to control your breathing by thinking "exhale, inhale" won't be as boring.

As a temporary fix, apparently if you exhale/inhale when your foot on the opposite side you have the stitch on strikes down helps. I think this is just generally trying to make it so that your diaphragm isn't shuddered as much through the thud of your foot strike, so coordinating solves this... apparently. To be honest it's been a bloody long time since I've had a stitch, I think this strategy helped me, and my boyfriend swears by it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Last night was my best run. I took your advice and slowed my pace. Only stopping 3 times to catch my breath. Plus I got home 10mins earlier :cool:

I normally have my lunch around 2pm and I guzzle lots of water throughout the day. I shall try and cut down after 12!

THANK YOU

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
excellent stuff styliko! Glad to have been able to help a little :d

In terms of eating, A_N_S is spot on, running too soon after may well cause a stitch. Generally leaving 2 hours between a meal and a run is enough but this varies from person to person (some may require more time, some will be fine with less!)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts