Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There,

I have been training since the begining of January for a half marathon which takes place a week on Sunday - the 25th March.

Training has been going quite well until my last two runs.

Last week I did 7 miles on the Tuesday, a 9 mile on the Friday and then hoped to do 8 miles on the Sunday but could only manage 6. Today (Tues) I went out and could only manage 4miles. On the Sunday and today my calf muscles felt really really stiff and it hurt to run. I couldn't get anywhere near my normal pace and had to cut both runs short. The 9 miles is the furthest I have run yet and I did it at a good pace.

I was after your advice do I keep running and hope it gets better or is best to rest my legs?

On a seperate note I bought some new running trainers a while back and they rub my instep like crazy! I have triend lots of plasters and currently go for compeed, they were getting better but after my few big runs they seem to be really hurting again. Has anyone got any tips for how to stop the rubbing?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Ollie

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Ollie,
May be go for a sports massage to help loosen your calf muscles but with 9 miles in your legs you should be ok. I'm following a HM programm that takes me up to 8 miles for my first HM at the end of May. You will want to cut back your mileage the week before your race and save your energy for race day.

Are yourunning in Asics? White spirit can help harden the skin of blisters and decent running socks can also help.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Rob said:
Hi there Ollie,
I'm in a very similar situation to yourself - please read my very recent post on the 'General' forum from two days ago. I took the good advice of the experienced members here on what to do, as I am myself doing a Half Marathon this coming Sunday and have suffered shin pains due to the increase in mileage which left me in a bit of a panic. I've actually been back out today after two days full rest and done 3.5M at easy pace and I intend to do the same tomorrow and Thursday as my last training sessions. My legs are recovering well now and today was a comfortable, albeit cautious, easy pace, but I feel like I am on the mend compared to just two days ago. Good luck and let me know how it all goes:) By the way, I bought some New Balance running shoes recently and broke them in with two consecutive 8M runs around the Thames when I was in London and I had bruised tendons for about a week or two which was also painful, but that seems to have passed now as my feet get used to them.
Rob
Rob couldn't help but read that you broke your new trainers in on 2 fairly long runs, it might be better to break trainers in on shorter runs initially.

Glad to hear that your leg pain is going now. :d

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Rob said:
Well, I just happened to be in London and wanted to make the most the scenic route round the Thames, which also coincided with me buying new shoes a couple of days earllier - had I been on my usual stomping ground I would have done a shorter couple of runs probably. I guess it was no surprise that I was hurting on my tendons for a bit afterwards! As for my leg pain, it's still kind of there but it doesn't feel as bad as it did. Last night I was taking it easy and in my head I felt like I could do much more and the weather was nice, but I erred on the side of caution. I was so worried about causing anymore damage that I was almost trying to run without using my legs if that makes any sense:confused: Anyway, I'll be back out to do the same again tonight and I should know by tomorrow morning how things stand.
Rob
Don't blame you somethings are too good to miss. Your race is this coming sunday 18th March?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi guys

thanks for the advice. giving it a rest tonight, then going to go for a shorter run tomorrow. am still a bit conerned though. It was all going so well! I think my lack of stretching didn't help.

Yes Edwina, they are asics trainers, any reason why you ask? Do you put white spirit onto the open blister??

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Asics are notorious for causing blisters. Don't put surgical spirit (not white spirit doh) on an open blister but maybe clean it with salt water.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry i meant surgical spirit - not white spirit!! Not sure what good that would do?!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts