Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to make sure my VO2max isn't too low.

I'm 57 and started jogging about 18 months ago. I’m running 30 min jogs 3 or 4 days a week. I find it tough to be honest, but my fitness has improved a lot, I’m doing some 30 min bootcamps twice a week too and I’m quite happy with my improved health.

Last week I did a VO2max test on a local training centre, just to make sure my VO2max isn’t too low, which I heard may indicate I have some cardio-respiratory issue. The result doesn’t seem bad: VO2max 40.1 (Fair). The trainer told me my VO2 is normal.

My jogs are 5km in 29 min (around 10.35 km/h) and I don’t intend to go any further, just keeping this pace is OK for me, all I want is to keep fit.

My only concern is if I’m safe to run with this VO2max level. I feel that I have to take full lungfulls while running, I expected my breading to be less accused, but I guess this is just due to my inexperience. I’ve also lost around 20kg/44lbs in the last 3 years, which has helped a lot.

I’d just like to get opinions on my VO2max level, should it be better after 18 months? Would it be advisable to get some device to track my VO2max from time to time to make sure I’m safe?

Weight 81.2 kg
Height 1.87 m
BMI 23.4
Age 57
Sex: male

Any advice much appreciated

·
Registered
66 Posts
My only concern is if I’m safe to run with this VO2max level. I feel that I have to take full lungfulls while running, I expected my breading to be less accused, but I guess this is just due to my inexperience.

I’d just like to get opinions on my VO2max level, should it be better after 18 months? Would it be advisable to get some device to track my VO2max from time to time to make sure I’m safe?
This is nonsense, which I mean in the kindest wasy. If you were sufficiently fit to compete in a county or national event, then you might think about VO2. But as you are, just forget it. Do you actually know what it is a measure of? Who suggested you did this test? You will improve your VO2 score by losing weight because your weight is part of the calculation. How nutty is that! It's a measure that only matters if you are already at your racing weight.

Focus on running slow and long. That's the way to burn fat and improve your aerobic base, which means not getting out of brearh so easily.
(I am a coach)

·
4,358 Posts
As Graeme says, there is no need to fixate on VO2max it is just a number. As you get fitter your breathing will improve.
Is your current VO2 result from a sports watch or from a controlled test?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is nonsense, which I mean in the kindest wasy. If you were sufficiently fit to compete in a county or national event, then you might think about VO2. But as you are, just forget it. Do you actually know what it is a measure of? Who suggested you did this test? You will improve your VO2 score by losing weight because your weight is part of the calculation. How nutty is that! It's a measure that only matters if you are already at your racing weight.

Focus on running slow and long. That's the way to burn fat and improve your aerobic base, which means not getting out of brearh so easily.
(I am a coach)
well, thanks for the advice. I did this test simply because I heard there're folks out there running with a low oxygen level, which may indicate a heart condition. To go to the NHS to get tested just because I feel I may be out of breath while jogging I guess is inappropriate, the more so with the current COVID NHS backlog. The test didn't find anything concerning, so I feel better. Sorry, what do you mean long slow runs? I've been doing 5km/29min jogs for 20 months now. Do you think that running slower/longer runs would help?...to be honest, you may be right and I need to adapt my training, I find these jogs really tough.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As Graeme says, there is no need to fixate on VO2max it is just a number. As you get fitter your breathing will improve.
Is your current VO2 result from a sports watch or from a controlled test?
I did this test simply because I heard there're folks out there running with a low oxygen level, which may indicate a heart condition. To go to the NHS to get tested just because I feel I may be out of breath while jogging I guess is inappropriate, the more so with the current COVID NHS backlog. The test didn't find anything concerning, so I feel better. Sorry, what do you mean long slow runs? I've been doing 5km/29min jogs for 20 months now. Do you think that running slower/longer runs would help?...to be honest, you may be right and I need to adapt my training, I find these jogs really tough.
I just want to be able to go on with my 30 min runs as comfortably as I can, no racing intended. Thanks for your answer.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ideally you should not be breathing heavily while running that distance unless you are racing, which you atre not. You will build up your aerobic base by running slowly until you start to breath more heavily, then walk until recovered, then run, repeat.

·
Registered
66 Posts
rating18-2556-65

excellent> 60> 41
good52-6036-41
above average47-5132-35

to re-assure you. Now ignore it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rating18-2556-65

excellent> 60> 41
good52-6036-41
above average47-5132-35

to re-assure you. Now ignore it.
I did as you suggested and it's been better today, I've run 40 minutes instead of 30, at a slower pace, and it was a bit easier.
Good to see those VO2max scores, that's what I wanted to know, that my breathing is normal.
I remember when I trained for road cycling, I did a few months of slow long rides then shorter faster rides near the summer. I'll try to change my running habits and hope for the best.

Why "now ignore it"?, I'm taking you seriously, don't worry. Thanks a lot for your advice ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ignore it - is in reference to VO2 scores!
Thanks again. I’m thinking I may benefit from some running plan to improve myself a little. Would you recommend any website or book for this? Even if I have to pay something. I don’t intend to compete or run marathons by any means, just to make the most of my little time for fitness.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Covers life, not just running
That looks like a very good (and fat) book judging by the reviews.
I'm now running slower runs as you suggested, my breathing is easier (I tried talking to check if my breathing is good enough, but still couldn't sustain the talk more than a few seconds, but better anyway). Today I've ran 58 minutes with a faster last Km, just to test myself. Not sure what to do now. My only wish would be to run my usual 30 minutes breathing more comfortably. I guess I'll try to combine these longer-slow runs with faster than usual runs, gradually. Do you know of any website to give me a plan for a reasonable price?

Thanks a lot

1 - 12 of 12 Posts