Runners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends! I feel almost concerned when I read about the "ideal" heart rate an old person as me should be having. I feel comfortable when running "full on", just flooring it, but not very far. Just 5 or 10 km. That makes me feel very good while running and after. I like to do that three or four times a week, and I have done this for about 15 years. So, usually I run for 5 or 10 km with a pace of 4:15 - 4:45 minutes / km, my avg HR is 165 - 170. My times have plateaued a long time ago, but I don't care. I am happy with my pace and distance. At the end of runs I sometimes sprint, and I get up to 190 bpm. I love it!
If I try to be in the "ideal zone", which is around 150 for my age, as I understand, it's like I run very slow. I don't feel like my body is getting any exercise, and I just get tired in my legs because of the longer distance and many more steps I have to take. I double or triple the distance, and feel pain in my ancles, knees and hips. Strangely, running slower gives me problems with my legs, but running fast with a lot harder blows for a shorter distance doesn't (I do have to use a bicycle regularly to "tighten" up my legs, so that I can run with stronger leg muscles to alleviate the blows. This seems like a perfect combo for me. I also like to go all in on the bicycle btw!). But maybe I should regulate my speed now that I am older, and give my heart a break ? Still, it feels like I have more to give. I can happily do some interval training after an intense run. Or burpees until failure for example. But of course, I feel tired after a run. But maybe I shouldn't feel very tired ? I don't quite understand this. I have learned how to endure and push myself a little bit, and now everyone is saying that this is a bad thing ? I can of course combine it, and have more of the easy runs, but yes. The longer distance is a bit challenging. I am taking it seriously though. I certainly don't want to have any problems with my heart.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I'm not sure what your questions are but: the «ideal» you refer to is probably the age formula. Please note that the range around this estimate is plus or minus 20 beats, so you need to test it for yourself by running trial. Once you know this, you can plan your running after a principle that you have confidence in, such as the 80-20 principle, which is put forward by Steven Seiler, who coaches in Norway on the Oslofjord.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts