Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have just joined the TA. I am not the fittest person in the world, and I seem to struggle with running.
I need to get good times on a 1.5 mile run, good times like 10.30seconds.

I seems to struggle with my breathing, struggle really bad. After a minute or so i am knackered. All other training I do ok but running it hurts man!

Have you any suggestions for me please?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Generaly Gym work, sch as bike, cross trainer, then weights. I normall do this every-other day although this past week I havent because its been hectic.

Another thing, Im not the lightest of people so that also makes it difficult for me.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Soldier, are you a gym member?

I'm not a fan of gyms, but used one for a few months when I was recovering from injury. I got talking ot one of the personal trainers there (who was paid by the gym so free for members). He told me that the majority of the programs he had people on were because they were aiming for the forces (whether regular or part time).

It maybe an idea to see if your gym has someone like him to use who can put together a program for you.

·
RunnersForum Founder
620 Posts
If you are a heavy runner the first thing to do is ensure you have some decent shoes as poor footwear can lead to injury.

1.5 miles in 10:30 is 7 minute mile pace. What times are you currently doing over the distance?

I would consider a run-walk-run schedule until you build up enough fitness to breathe comfortably. Try 2 minutes running 1 minute walking over the course of about 20 mins. Repeating this session 2-3 times a week along with your other fitness work should help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, last wekend when I actually did a timed run with the army I got 12:55. This is quite poor but I have got time to improve.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
chrisity said:
you are probably starting off too fast. try to increase the time for which you are running rather than the speed. speed will come later.
Hi, Im afraid i have no choice when i'm with the army. I have to give it all, Im not allowed to pace myself. You have someone shouting at you if you stop, or slow down!:mad: :confused:

I have 8 weeks, I really want to get under 10 minutes.

·
Registered
244 Posts
8 weeks is definitely do-able. I think Chiristy is suggesting you may be going too fast on your training runs. Take it steady, build the distance up and eventually the distance will become comfortable.

Once you are comfortable running for 1.5 miles then worry about speed.

·
Registered
110 Posts
soldier said:
Hi, Im afraid i have no choice when i'm with the army. I have to give it all, Im not allowed to pace myself. You have someone shouting at you if you stop, or slow down!:mad: :confused:

I have 8 weeks, I really want to get under 10 minutes.
Is there a speed requirement for entry into the Army soldier?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey soldier

Hey soldier,
my running started just over a year ago when i decided i wanted to join the regular Army. Last year i couldnt run the mile and half required without having to walk some, however now just under a year later im running half marathons and various other distances at a reasonable pace. My advice to you is to keep at it! I was going out and running whenever i could, and i kept pushing myself everytime i went out. I was running 2 miles as quickly as i could so i knew that when it came to doing a mile and a half i could afford to up the pace.
Regular running, jogging, swimming, circuit training, and general cardio workouts (cycling, etc) is all thats really needed. You have to just keep trying and keep working hard and dont give up on it even when it seems you're not improving, and you'll see the reults sooner or later!! :)
Runnerbean.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts