Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to say hello to all, I am new to runnning only started two weeks ago, at the moment I am doing a run/walk plan and I am really enjoying it. I do it with a friend of mine three mornings a week before work. It is a great way to start the day, and I am looking forward to the days when I can run more. We have entered the 5k race for life in July so have plenty of time to get fit and ready for it. Can anyone give me any good advice or tips, I have brought some good running shoes and I eat quite healthily, but was shocked to find that I have put 2lb on this week cos thought I might have lost a couple of lbs not put it on. I have started running to get fit, tone up and hopefully lose a few pounds too, although I only want to lose about 10lbs ....Karen:d

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Welcome to the forum Karen :)

It's quite common to put a couple of pounds on when you take up running, but just keep an eye on your food intake. It's easy to eat a little more without realising because the extra exercise obviously makes you a little hungrier. You shouldn't deny that hunger but make sure you satisfy it with low fat healthy snacks.

That's great you've got some good running shoes, and entered an event already... it'll help motivate you

Good luck

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Welcome to the forum .

It's nice to see another welsh person on the forum we were starting to feel lonely .

As trinity and ed chapman say it'll happen

Don't be a slave to the scales rather judge your weight loss by the clothes you wear.

The mere fact that you are increasing your activity level will help to lose some weight

Keep it up don't do too much too soon and above all enjoy it!!!

Hope to see you racing someday
Take it easy
cheriton;)

·
Registered
835 Posts
Karen,
I agree with all the other posts, but with regards the weight loss remember that muscle weighs more than fat. Provided you keep up the running and stay on a healthy diet the weight will drop off.

Something that worked well for me (but may not necessarily for others) was that I have cut out bread and pastry altogether. (well almost, I did sneak a tiny sandwich at a child's party yesterday) :embarrassed:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Carbs

Thanks for the advice, I do normally try to avoid too many carbs and dont eat white bread if I can help it, but someone told me that you need carbs if running so not sure what to do. I do find that carbs make me gain weight, but if I need them for energy what do i do. I did think maybe I should eat carbs on running days and lay off them on my non running days what do you think?

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I couldn't ever contemplate giving up carbs... no muffins... no bread... rice... pasta :eek:

As far as I'm concerned losing weight a simple equation of using more energy than calories consumed, and maintaining weight is eating a healthy balanced diet and exercising

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Trinity, you look slim in your pics and if you eat muffins and bread I assume you do a lot of running to burn it off? I do eat healthy and eat a lot of fish and vegetables and lots of fruit. as I have an underactive thyroid I seem to find it harder to lose weight. I only want to lose about 7 to 10 lbs, but I am staying off the scales at the moment Karen

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Trin does run a lot, but alas she's not the filmstar depicted in her forum pic, lol. Hopefully she doesn't go around pointing guns at people either!

As for carbs, if you're running, eat them. It's true to say that people find dieting more successful if they cut back on carbs, but running isn't dieting, it's exercising and needs decent fuel! There's quite a difference in the best way to approach losing weight, and losing fat ;)

·
Registered
835 Posts
Trinity said:
I couldn't ever contemplate giving up carbs... no muffins... no bread... rice... pasta :eek:
I haven't stopped the carbs, my weakness for pasta makes up for the lack of bread & pastries. I now find that bread & pastry is just plain stodgy.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
Trin does run a lot, but alas she's not the filmstar depicted in her forum pic, lol. Hopefully she doesn't go around pointing guns at people either!
Doh... Richard, what d'ya say that for! You've ruined the image that peeps who don't know me have.

ahem.... I am quite similar actually :rolleyes: But you're right, I don't go round pointing guns at people... unless they have my chocolate, and then I can get nasty ;)

Karen Edmunds said:
Thanks Trinity, you look slim in your pics and if you eat muffins and bread I assume you do a lot of running to burn it off? I do eat healthy and eat a lot of fish and vegetables and lots of fruit. as I have an underactive thyroid I seem to find it harder to lose weight. I only want to lose about 7 to 10 lbs, but I am staying off the scales at the moment Karen

Karen, I have under active thyroid too. Was diagnosed about 2 years ago.
At the moment I'm in training for London, so yes, I'm doing a fair few miles. But my diet doesn't change too much with less miles, I just eat slightly more when I'm running more, but not in meal size, I just eat healthy snacks more frequently

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You all sound like you have been running for a long time and know what you are talking about. I am only on third week, I am really looking forward to getting fitter and being able to go out and run without the walking in between. At the moment I cant imagine being able to run for more than a minute at a time!! lol.

My main priority is getting fit and toning up, if I could lose half a stone or so too that would be great, but as muscle weighs more than fat, i dont suppose that will happen. Can anyone tell me how long it takes before I start finding it easier to run and feeling a bit fitter?

I cant believe that I get up at 6 oclock in the morning to go running before work, as I used to find it really hard to get up at 7 but knowing I am going running I jump out of bed really quickly and after being out in the fresh air running (well trying to run, but I will get there) feel really lively and alert by the time i get to work. :d

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Hi, Karen. You know, you're not really all that likely to start gaining a really muscle-bound physique just by running; so I shouldn't worry about that too much. :)

I'm impressed that you have been able to force yourself out of bed early in the morning to go for a run. Many people find this almost impossible to do, and eventually give up trying after a relatively short time. When you think about it, it's just a matter of letting your body get used to a new regime... just like starting to run at any time of day takes time to get used to.
When I'm in full training, I'm usually up at 4-45am in order to fit a run in before heading off to work; and as you can appreciate, that took some getting used to!

Keep up the good work. If you just keep doing what you're doing now, you'll soon start to see improvements in your fitness and ability. Good luck. View attachment 111

·
Registered
204 Posts
Karen Edmunds said:
I am only on third week, I am really looking forward to getting fitter and being able to go out and run without the walking in between. At the moment I cant imagine being able to run for more than a minute at a time!! lol.
It won't take long at all! Its very satisfying going from run/walk to being able to run non stop, i've not long progressed from that level myself

enjoy the ride :cool:

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
It's strange really, I can't really remember a point where I could go from having to run and walk parts to being able to run non stop, and then reaching certain distance goals... but believe me your 3 weeks of running will soon become 3 years of running and you'll be managing distances you probably wouldn't believe you could ever do at the moment.

Pedestrian is spot on - so much potential to progress!!! I really take my hat off to those at the front of the field who train religiously only to see minor improvements in their performance, that must really take some dedication!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi Karen

Welcome to RF.

I only starting running 3 years ago and it's the most progressive sport I have ever done, stick with it, you will see improvements in your fitness, and like the others have said don't worry too much about your weight that will change and so will your shape, so leave the scales alone!!

Good luck with the training and keep us posted on your progress.

TT :d

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Pedestrian is spot on - so much potential to progress!!! I really take my hat off to those at the front of the field who train religiously only to see minor improvements in their performance, that must really take some dedication![/QUOTE]

Your right Richard, I spoke with a guy at Brands Hatch on Saturday and he was disappointed to have not knocked another 30 seconds off the new PB he had just attained :eek: and he had done some ridiculously fantastic time too...

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
It's strange really, I can't really remember a point where I could go from having to run and walk parts to being able to run non stop, and then reaching certain distance goals... but believe me your 3 weeks of running will soon become 3 years of running and you'll be managing distances you probably wouldn't believe you could ever do at the moment.

Pedestrian is spot on - so much potential to progress!!! I really take my hat off to those at the front of the field who train religiously only to see minor improvements in their performance, that must really take some dedication!
I really must confess that I'm never entirely sure of how to advise beginners, as I've never had the experience of being a beginner. :embarrassed: It's just something I've always done.
I sometimes worry that I may be being perceived (on the forum) as some smug, self-satisfied "P"-taker. Sort of a "big-fish-in-a-small-pond-syndrome". The fact is that I'm genuinely interested in anyone who gets a pair of trainers on and heads out the door to run. (And if you could see the way I'm "running" at the moment, you'd know there's no room for ANY smugness or self-satisfaction!).:(
Put simply: running... it's what I do... it's who I am... View attachment 132

1 - 20 of 27 Posts