Runners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am 88,5 kg now and 175 cm high, do bmi says that I am pretty much overweight. The thing is though that I lost 8 kg in recent months and I would like to start running. Everybody says that running overweight is bad. Even though I agree with this statement, I don't know what other things should I do with my weight, because you may won't believe me. I've almost got sixpack now, so there is maybe a few kilograms more to lose but I still will be overweight. How much unhealthy is it if I will be running with this weight? Please bear in mind that my main focus is on distances no longer than 5 km (circa 3 miles) if its of any importance.
Thanks.

·
4,346 Posts
back in 2011, after a long (20years) lay off from running I was 105kg, I started running, slowly, for around 3 miles a day and as the weight came off I increased my distances and eventually got my weight down to 69kg. Keep it slow and easy, run to HR and do not overdo it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is BMI still a thing? I'm sure it can give you an indication, but if you don't take your body type, age, gender, or muscle mass into account, maybe your BMI isn't the best thing to base your decision on.

Calculating/measuring your lean body mass or body fat ratio might give you a more accurate idea of how much your muscles/tendons/joints will suffer from a short easy run...

But honesly, it doesn't seem like you'd be in a lot of risk if you just ease into it. A good pair of shoes and a solid stretching routine, and you're good to go :)

Good luck!

Here's me giving advice on my very first post. Hope I'm not breaking any rules here? ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts