Runners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First rule of running start slow and build up.

This has been running plan to add 10% to my weekly mileage. But as you can see from the below diary I have over done it, and the result it my flipping knee is painfull. It has been since Sunday morning. I am so mad at myself:mad:

Sat 03-May-08 1.7K
Sun 04-May-08 2.2K
Mon 05-May-08 Off
Tue 06-May-08 1.7K
Wed 07-May-08 1.7K
Thu 08-May-08 2.2K
Fri 09-May-08 Off
Sat 10-May-08 2.3K
Sun 11-May-08 2.3K
Mon 12-May-08 2.5K
Tue 13-May-08 2.7K
Wed 14-May-08 Off
Thu 15-May-08 2.7K
Fri 16-May-08 1.7K
Sat 17-May-08 2.9K
Sun 18-May-08 2.9K
Mon 19-May-08 Off
Tue 20-May-08 2.9K
Wed 21-May-08 2.4K

Why did I over do it, well I'll blame my second wind which is fab at the time and I feel like I could run for miles. But now I'm paying for it, I wont be running till this pain goes away.
So in the future I'll be sticking to my 10% rule.

*Hobbles off to stand, head hung in shame to the nearest corner*

·
Registered
298 Posts
....also, rest is just as important in a schedule... you are having only 1 rest day in your week at the end, which I think is not advisable for someone just starting out a training schedule.

Perhaps have a couple more rest days in there and use one for some cross training?

Just my inexperienced thoughts on the matter :embarrassed:

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Used the TENS on it last night twice, and rubbed in ibuprofen gel. This morning it's not painful. I hope another rest day will sort it out.

I run 5 days and have 2 rest a week, and I can manage that, the point was I had over done it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
littlered said:
I run 5 days and have 2 rest a week, and I can manage that,
Obviously not :rolleyes:

and your last [full]week:

Mon 12-May-08 2.5K
Tue 13-May-08 2.7K
Wed 14-May-08 Off
Thu 15-May-08 2.7K
Fri 16-May-08 1.7K
Sat 17-May-08 2.9K
Sun 18-May-08 2.9K
Shows 1 rest day.

You had a total of 4 rest days over 19 days..... thats 4 days rest in 2.7 weeks. Thats 1.5 rest days a week on average. Again, in my inexperienced opinion, not enough. Not resting will probably cause more injury than increasing your mileage slightly IMHO. For example, I run Tues (short) / Weds (mid) / Thurs (short) / Sat (long). Leaving 3 rest days on Mon / Fri / Sun, on which I do cross training on the Sunday after my long run on the Saturday. For "shits and giggles" runners (like myself), doing 4 runs in a row is not advisable, and taking decent rest days is. Again this is all in my very inexperienced opinion.

The point was I was just trying to help

Later

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I agree with Base813.

I would stick to three days running, while you're new to the sport. I'd then work on building up distance after a week or two of getting used to running.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've been running for roughly a year and i still only run 3 times a week but it works for me fine, i've increased my weeks mileage from 20 to 25miles in the last four weeks. Resting is definetely important and it doesn't necessarily mean you can't progress a decent amount either.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I've run for years and do 5 runs a week at most...and one of those is often only a little "hardly worth the effort" affair.

2/3 days off a week therefore the best policy for most of us...........we can't all be Ron Hill!

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I always run 4 times a week, but on occasion will run 5 times. I tend to run 30-35 miles per week on average. I always have at least 2 rest days and it works for me. Personally, I couldn't be bothered to run everyday and it's not always easy to find the time. I've never run more than 4 days in succession.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
i've changed my mind on this...

i ran 10 days in a row a couple of weeks back and had no problems...

so i don't think you can tell someone that one day a week off is not enough just because it isn't what you do...

in the end it's up to the individual...

·
Registered
298 Posts
Revenged said:
i've changed my mind on this...

so i don't think you can tell someone that one day a week off is not enough just because it isn't what you do...

in the end it's up to the individual...
...and this individual injured herself, and I would say that not taking enough rest may have been something to do with it... or would you disagree?

so I dont think you can tell someone that 10 days in a row is ok just because it was for you....

in the end they got injured, and I would advise more rest days than her current programme that injured her allowed.... you are correct it is all personal, so as long as I can get up and out why should I give a toss if anyone else gets injured?
Again this is all in my very inexperienced opinion

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
i didn't say she should running 10 days in a row !

i'm not going to start WW3 debating this...

but i still think it is up to the individual...

if i feel fine - i don't take a day off...
if i feel injured - i take a couple of days off...

that's my philosophy...

i think it's better philosophy then the i always run 4 times a week philosophy and regimented 'training scedules' you'll find...

but this is just my opinion...

·
Registered
298 Posts
i think it's better philosophy then the i always run 4 times a week philosophy and regimented 'training scedules' you'll find...
Agreed
:cool:

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Do we definitely know that not resting is the cause of injury in this case?
It only takes one run to get injured. You can injure yourself just doing one run a week. You can get injured walking to the shops. (I've done it!)

When you're not injured, you may as well be running. ;)

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just to let you know my knee is still sore, but it on a bone on the inside of my knee, it;s better when I take painkillers, but not sore at all while walking or standing about (as I am on my feet all day at work).
It is still sore after sitting for a period and I get up.

Now not to excue myself but before I started running my knees were a bit iffiy:confused:
stiff sometimes and would get pain for days then it would clear up.

So I dont know if for sure running has caused the pain, or not having enough rest days has caused it.

I'm still not running on it and will give it time to clear, thanks for all the helpfull advice.:confused:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts