Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You read correctly - I am very aware of my theighs - I'm in to the more hardcore bit of my training for a half that's at the end of the month - it's 32 miles with 5 runs in the week. I'm not in pain, they don't even ache, it's just that I'm not used to this feeling, never had it before - do I require more stretching or something? Last sat I did 12 miles, monday 3 miles, tuesday 2 miles, wednesday 10 miles today will be 5 miles then rest tomorrow and 12 miles on saturday. This isn't exactly following the plan - I've made my long run a mile or two longer and a couple of the easy runs a mile or two longer... is this an early sign that I should maybe cut down a bit? I don't want to over-do it as the race is getting so close!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pedestrian said:
What is it that you're actually feeling in your thighs? You don't seem to say in your post. Or is that what you intended.... no specifics?:rolleyes:
:p

I'm not sure how to describe it - it's not like painful... it's just a sensation, kind of like what you get after a sprint, like feeling pumped, but not like to the point where they're throbbing or anything... and it's not achey, they're just... there. Usually you're not aware constantly of your appendages! So this is a new one for me.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh that's what that feels like.. :p

Maybe I like being misconstrued... or maybe... you have a very dirty mind.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
pedestrian said:
Maybe what you're feeling is fitness, perhaps?
... And don't use the word "appendages" again, unless you wish to be misconstrued (!);)
Pedestrian.

You forgot to mention the use of Throbbing,pumped and hardcore.

Missing something A_N_S...................:d

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
ANS, I'm really struggling to envisage the sensation you're talking about, but the only thing I can think of is perhaps a mild form of muscle fatigue? As in your legs are pretty tired, but they've not been over-stressed to the point where they're tight and/or aching...

Have your runs over the past week been at a steady pace? or has there been speedwork etc in there too?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
It's probably a little muscle tightness... Good idea to do a few more stretches, and ease off the mileage if it doesn't just fade away after a few days

Do you find when you stretch eg touch your toes that you can go as far as you normally do?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The run I did yesterday was like long interval type things on a treadmill, 10 miles including 5x 1 mile @ 13Kph with half mile easy (9.5kph) with like one mile easy warm up and cool down.

The other runs have all been at a steady pace outdoors, like 9 minute mile type thing, maybe even a bit slower!!.

No I can't quite stretch "cold" as much as I used to be able to, but then that's been getting steadily worse since I've been training heh, when I'm warmed up obviously I feel fine and I can stretch away to my hearts content and in yoga it's been getting better...

I will do my 5 mile today, and see how I feel, but then I've got a rest day tomorrow anyway - if I get the same sorta thing tomorrow then I'll do something a lil less "hardcore" next week,

Ped, no I wasn't expecting that response when I started the thread, but having thought of it, I should have known better... but then I never think.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:rolleyes: :p

Went for my long run today instead of yesterday... and it was AWESOME... best run ever - I did it at a really good pace the whole way round... ahhh, it's runs like that that just make you wanna get out and do it again!! Don't have the sensation in theighs, although I have gluteous ache lol - there's a LOT of up hill... I guess that's that - but I made a point also to do some yoga and stretching when I got back, so maybe that helped. I was really surprised how well it went actually - I think I started out too fast and by the end of the first mile the muscle at the top of my shins under the knee was really acheing cuz of the hills I guess... so I was like crap crap crap, but ran through it - the next couple of miles were mostly downhill, and then I don't remember them hurting at all after that. I had so much energy - I ate chips and chinese the night before!! So there you have it - a good pre-half meal is chips and chinese lol!! (the run was about 12.4 or so miles, so not far off a half!). Anyway now I just feel really confident that I'll be able to give it my all on the day of the race... 2 weeks away now :eek: !!!

/rant

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Doesn't look like it - next week appears to be another full week with 5 running days and about 29 miles... the week after that looks like its the taper - drops to 20 miles including the actual race... I guess this is the main event of my year because it's my first ever race... but I'm doing 2 more halfs. I'm not sure what to do about training, the 2nd one is 8 weeks after this one, so I dunno whether to go 8 weeks back in the plan or what - would seem a bit pointless - I want to improve!! I'm thinking I'll just carry on adding mileage, increasing pace at the same increments that have been added thus far - of course that would mean running a marathon before the end of the year heh... I have no idea what to do!! I don't really want to concentrate too heavily on increasing my speed, I mean I want it to improve obviously, but at the same time I really wanna push the endurance and stuff.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
I'd say give yourself a nice easy week after the race - from there you can do as you please really... perhaps as you say add a few miles onto various runs etc...

It may be worth tapping your new Half mara time (after your race in 2 weeks) into the SmartCoach thing over on RW if for no other reason than to get some ideas of what kind of mileage and paces you should be doing? Still... that next half is a long way off yet - best focus on the task in hand ;)

·
Registered
506 Posts
ANS,
sounds like your schedule is similar to mine, miles-wise. I'm running a half next Sunday and I've just done my last long run yesterday at 10 miles, and I'm just doing 4, 4 and 2 this mid week. I ran pretty steady yesterday and my calf muscles were a bit tight this morning but they're loosening up now as I move about the house. I'm happy I've come through my training with no injuries though and I'm just taking it easy this week.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts