Runners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I struggle with trying to get any increase in pace. I've been running /jogging off and on for around 3 years, mainly on, and did so several years before also. I vary my routines as I follow my Garmin's 5k training plan so this week for example has a 7 mile run, a 2 mile easy pace, some hill work and some speed repeats. All I'm trying to get to is a 29 minute 5k but at the end of the 15 weeks plan I seem to be little or no faster than at the start. A one mile run would be much the same pace as a 5 mile run.

I currently do around 31/32 mins 5k. I'm 51, not over weight, non-smoker etc. I am on a low dose of beta blockers for a heart condition but I don't believe they can affect me that much. I was never a speedy runner, my best 5k was 23'10". Everything I've read about increasing pace discusses mixing up the training, which I do, but not to much avail. Has anyone any advice, or should I just plod along? It's disheartening however.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I was always told "to run faster you have to run faster"........

With doing longer distances I have found a pace that gives me endurance but ends up killing the speed a bit. In the past I have used a combination of interval traing, pyramids and hill reps to help build speed up. I also found that running with faster people helped.

Basically you have to carry on pushing yourself and over time it will come.

G

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts