Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just run the hardest 8 miles I have ever done. Don't know if the heat affected me. It was about 21c, which isn't really that hot, but it just sapped my energy. I had done an 8 miler yesterday too, so don;t know if that made a difference too. Or the late night drinking on Sunday may also have played apart. Either way, it was torture. I felt dehydrated 2 miles before the end. I had drunk 2 pints of water before hand. Now my legs just ache like hell. I feel so unfit. I wasn't even going that fast.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
Heat always affects me too, especially if I've had a few drinks the night before. I find that taking water with me on really hot days helps me a lot. I've got one of those bottle belts, so carrying the bottle isn't a problem.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I struggled a bit today as well- I like the sunny weather for sitting about in, but not for running. I much prefer running in the winter. Don't swallow so many bugs in winter either....:d

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have just run the hardest 8 miles I have ever done. Don't know if the heat affected me. It was about 21c, which isn't really that hot, but it just sapped my energy. I had done an 8 miler yesterday too, so don;t know if that made a difference too. Or the late night drinking on Sunday may also have played apart. Either way, it was torture. I felt dehydrated 2 miles before the end. I had drunk 2 pints of water before hand. Now my legs just ache like hell. I feel so unfit. I wasn't even going that fast.
Was the same for me yesterday . Went out planning a 7 mile run . Was dying after 2 mile , Just took a shortcut home and only ended up doing 5.5 :((

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Can't run in the heat or swim in a warm pool. It's so uncomfortable and sapping. That's why I like running early mornings.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
stop moaning... hot and sunny is perfect to run in...

if you think that running on cold deary wet winter morning days is better you either:

a) have not been running enough

or

b) you need shooting!! :)

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used to like running when it was warm and sunny, which is why I think it was all the alcohol on the weekend that affected me most.

·
Registered
70 Posts
stop moaning... hot and sunny is perfect to run in...

if you think that running on cold deary wet winter morning days is better you either:

a) have not been running enough

or

b) you need shooting!! :)
Unfortunately hot and sunny isn't perfect for me as the warmer it is the hotter I get and therefore the more my eczema gets irritated.The warmer weather generally means there is a higher pollen count which makes my hayfever worse. Each to their own though....

·
Registered
72 Posts
I tabbed back from work today only 2.5 miles but was sweating buckets.Was lots of fun

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I struggled a bit today as well- I like the sunny weather for sitting about in, but not for running. I much prefer running in the winter. Don't swallow so many bugs in winter either....:d
The curse of the midgies!:mad: The only downside of summer in Scotland.

I like getting my long runs done early on a Sunday - that way, I can get the best of the sunshine, without it being too hot outside.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The curse of the midgies!:mad: The only downside of summer in Scotland.

I like getting my long runs done early on a Sunday - that way, I can get the best of the sunshine, without it being too hot outside.
Me too- that's the time when I most enjoy running. I'm normally out the door at about 7am at the latest. I also like running at that time as there are very few other people about- generally only cyclists, dog walkers and other runners. No wee neds shouting abuse at you or prams and buggies to dodge....Perfect.:)

Would love to do all my running early morning but I have to be at the bus-stop at 6.20 am for work so it's not really possible. :((

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I almost couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this topic... your original post almost exactly mimics my run this evening!

I didn't fancy a club run tonight (wasn;t in the mood for stopping every 2 mins to go through a gate) so set off on my own... fancied around 8-9miles at around 6:45/mi pace... from the moment I got around the first corner and nearly choked to death on a fly that flew straight down my throat - i knew it wasn;t going to be a great run!

I couldn't pick up the pace and resigned myself to the fact it was going to be slow/steady run... the heat seemed so intense - though I know it wasn't that hot! I was properly hydrated and fueled, and although I had a hard session yesterday the legs didn't feel too bad before I'd got going and the heat kicked in. I have monstrous eyebrows but they were helpless against the torrent of sweat being released from my forehead. :(

Bring on the autumn/winter! :embarrassed:

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Earlier today in a moment of what could only have been temporary psychosis, I thought that it would be fun to do the Marathon de Sables or the Bayswater Marathon sometime before I die. When I then struggled to drag myself 8 miles in 20c heat, I realised that that is never going to happen.

Anyway, I've done 25 miles this week, so I'll probably do a 4 miler on Thursday and a 6 miler on Friday, then at least I'll have done some mileage. Then I will relax this weekend. I have a second date on Saturday, so need to be full of energy :)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Think all of us scots suffered yesterday! I ran home from work at 17:00, 5 miles with only gentle hills. Sun was still shining and it felt hot. I nearly died, got home with a thumping headache. At least I swallowed a few flies for protein:lol:

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I ran 6 miles yesterday and I normally hate running in the heat but actually didn't find it to bad was just plodding mind, it might just get you worse some days more than others.

I too prefer running in the autumn/winter.

I would put it down to a combination of both heat and drink JB or you were just having a rubbish run, have fun on your second date :d

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Do you start your weeks on Sat/Sun JB? or did you just run 17miles on Monday?
Yes, I start my weeks on Saturday, so I can get 2 long runs out of the way, and not feel I'm falling behind too much.

And regarding the first date, yes it was great. Went to Glasgow, had some drinks, a meal, and some more drinks. Clearly I made a good enough impression that she agreed to come to Edinburgh on sat and spend the day with me :) We'll see.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts