Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw my GP yesterday about the pains I am experiencing in my ankles and knees and he examined me and advised I don't run for a while, he wants to see me again in 4 weeks.

I have very bad muscle pain and my ankles hurt whilst running.

My race for life is in 5 weeks, I feel my training is for nothing now:(

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Hi Jing. I know just how you feel.

I have just over 2 weeks to go to mine and I've been able to do no training at all for the last 3 weeks, and no sign of that changing. Looks like I'm going to be walking the whole thing. I'd have done better with no training at all - at least I wouldn't have been injured :(

My foot is finally getting better but very slowly and I ran half way across the road last night to avoid being run over and even that made it noticeably worse. It's soooooo frustrating.

Is there another 5k run you can do later in the year, to have something else to train for? I think there's an Adidas one in September in London and a couple of other places, if it isn't full up already.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
don't run for 4 weeks is not a good enough answer.. whats his theory on the cause ?
or is he just fobbing you off.

see if you can find or get referred to a decent sports physio or podiatrist.

GPs are generally useless.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks,

He just seems to think I need to rest up, I have pulled my muscles or something .

That was all he said.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I hope things resolve themselves soon, you have only just got started you don't want to have to stop now....

:)

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
You would probably benefit from a second opinion, Jing. "rest up and stop running" is what GPs tend to say when they don't really know what's wrong :mad:

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Jing said:
Thanks,

He just seems to think I need to rest up, I have pulled my muscles or something .

That was all he said.
Jing, that's absolute cra.......... er, rubbish. A GP is almost the last person to see regarding running injuries. The whole "rest" thing is a safeguard... They just can't go wrong can they? (I haven't been to a GP for over 30 years!). I get the impression from the various accounts Ive heard/read, that running injuries are regarded as ailments which are self-inflicted; on a par with smoking-related illnesses. But just look at all the help that smokers are given to cure their habits/illnesses...

Take Ed M's advice (above). I'll be very surprised if you don't get a more positive and useful response from that alternative branch of the medical profession.

Good luck.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks,

Who should i go see and how much would it cost me?

I am tempted to just run:p

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Do you feel you can run? If so then it can't be that bad! As has been said, GP's will generally tell you to take a break from running if you have any sign of a niggle related to injury, as Pedestrian says "they just can't go wrong can they?"

Perhaps easing a little on the training would be worthwhile, but have a look for some strengthening exercises and try and run on softer surfaces in the meantime! You're training certainly won't have been for nothing - think about how many calories you've burned and how much heavier you'd be if you hadn't ran! ;)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Richard,

I feel much better today, i feel I could run now. I might go for a run sunday, then ive given it about 11 days rest. It was very painful mon-thursday though. It flares up after every run or during a run though.

Noooooooooo I don't want to lose weight, I am only 6 stone 12lbs and 5ft tall, haha! I am trying to gain weight;) which I have, ive gained 2lbs since running:d

·
Registered
76 Posts
Get in the deep end of the swimming pool and do water running, it will not only stop you getting injured as it's non load bearing but it will also keep your fitness up enough to run in 5 weeks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks,

We bought a wii fit yesterday, its great. It has the jogging on it and oh my god my knee & ankle hurt after using it, ops!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts