Runners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I contacted the Edinburgh running network to find out a bit more about the club. It sounded good and quite social. They do a couple of runs during the week and 10 milers on Sundays. I asked about the kinds of paces they run, and the organiser said they usually run at 8:30 pace on their 5 mile weekday runs, but on the long weekend runs, faster runners sometimes go off ahead. I'm wondering if it is worth me joining. I mean, would you expect there to be some fast runners there that are happy to run at 6min pace. I mean I don't know how I would feel about doing short runs at 8:30 pace. I don't think I've ever ran that slowly before. Then again, it might be nice to just treat it as a social event and meet some new people. I'm undecided.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Most clubs have runners of various levels...give them a go for a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
besides slow running is good for you too will aid recovery from faster runs :d

Like steve says try them out, you have nothing to lose.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
It seems strange that the whole group would run at 8:30/mi pace? That probably would seem very slow to you if it's only a 5mile run and I'm not sure how much you'd benefit from it. I've not long ago started treating my Tuesday night club runs as recovery runs, these are usually about 8miles and the pace can vary, though it's usually around 7:10-7:30/mi. Worth giving it a go though, even if it's only for a week! lol.

Did you mention to them the sort of paces you're training at atm?

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It seems strange that the whole group would run at 8:30/mi pace? That probably would seem very slow to you if it's only a 5mile run and I'm not sure how much you'd benefit from it. I've not long ago started treating my Tuesday night club runs as recovery runs, these are usually about 8miles and the pace can vary, though it's usually around 7:10-7:30/mi. Worth giving it a go though, even if it's only for a week! lol.

Did you mention to them the sort of paces you're training at atm?

Yes, I did tell them my paces and how far I usually run. The woman said why not come to one of the sessions and see how you find it. What I like about this club is that they have about 3 or 4 sessions a week in different locations around the city, so that could be quite handy.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Well once you get familar you can always do what our club members do and go off at your own pace... and just meet back at the place where you started and have a chit chat then....

Go and see how you get on. :p

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Chit chat before they start ...chit chat chit chat all the way round too some of them....and then still have something to chit chat about at the end..........and that's just the blokes!!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
LOL your not wrong, I just home in and listen whilst going round i have to focus too much to chit chat lol

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Chit chat on a run I can't do that and breathe. I'd be scared to go out with a club that ran at 8:30 pace I went out with the womens running network last night much more my level I was pleased I was able to keep up fastest I've run for a while at average pace of 11:24.

We are all different aren't we......

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Exactly SE....it's why clubs should cater for all. I like to think ours does.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts