Runners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to do a time trial for the first time in over a month and managed to keep a good fast pace - I've been taking it relatively easy recently. Anyway, I ran 10.2 miles in 66:31. Not my fastest ever 10 miler but pretty close. I ran the first 5.1 miles in 32.42 and the second in 33.49. Weirdly I ran the first 5k in 18:31, which is faster than I've run a one off 5k. Can't believe I ran sub 6 minute miles for 3 miles. Nice to know I've got some speed in me.

Anyway, I feel remarkably good after. Weather was perfect, dry, cool and misty. I think this helped.s

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Well done JB! Im going for a time trial thingy tomorrow with the running club so hoping to have a similiar story to yours. Found my pace is sticking the same just now and Im not really pushing myself so we will see.
Sub 6min miles are great! Don't think I have managed anywhere near that! Give yourself a big pat on the back. :)

O.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I decided to do a time trial for the first time in over a month and managed to keep a good fast pace - I've been taking it relatively easy recently.
i take it that 'relatively easy' is running ~25 miles a week :p...

great times there - consistency pays off :)...

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great run JBB!! I'd certainly be very happy with that time :) Still not tempted to enter a race? ;)
I'm becoming more tempted to do a race, because I'm starting to believe that I can run faster. I mean I did feel that I was pushing myself hard today, but there are always period when running alone where you just switch off and the pace drops. I think what encouraged me most on today's run was that after going out far too fast on the first 5k, and especially the first mile (which I did in 5:30), it only took one mile for me to recover and get back to a nice 6:30 pace for the rest of the run. So at least I know that if I go out too hard in a race, I have the ability to recover from it. I think I'd like to start with a nice flat 5k race and really go for a sub 18 minute run. I reckon that's achievable now :)

I'll say one thing. I don't know how people run sub 1 hour for 10 miles. Best I've done is 64 minutes and that was hard.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i take it that 'relatively easy' is running ~25 miles a week :p...

great times there - consistency pays off :)...
Well, the last two weeks I've been running 34 miles a week, but not much faster than 7:30 pace. It's been a long time since I ran sub 7min/mile pace. My heart was actually beating quite fast, which is rare for me on my runs. I obviously don't push myself enough, but that's because I don't like feeling uncomfortable. I'm a wuss ;)

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
if you do want to start doing races then i'd first join a running club...

even if you dont train with them it's much better to go to races with some friendly faces...

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
That is a great result JB, I can't believe you have not entered a race, you would love it :d

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
I know your feeling about not wanting to feel uncomfortable JB, I noticed on Sunday when I went for a run Im never out of breath and I can still hold a conversation if I wanted to. I really should up my game a bit but as I said, hopefully after my meeting with the running club tonight my pace will improve and the days of having a conversation will be gone :)
Well done once again on your pace!

O.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I reckon you'd surprise yourself JB... running competitively helps keep your mind focused a lot more when there's others around you - none of that 'switching to autopilot' feeling that can so often happen on training runs! (or certainly a lot less at least!)

sub 60mins for 10miles really isn't far off for you at all if you wanted it. I have to say I'm incredibly jealous of your ability, putting in fantastic training times like that from what sounds like a fairly relaxed training schedule. I'm sure your PB times would start tumbling if you were to join a club and really push yourself.

Keep it up!

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
It just comes to you, I didnt aim to get sub 10mins it just happened.....give it time and before you know it you will be on a steady sub 10min mile :)

O.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Well done JB *pat on the back

Only way i would run that fast is if a swam of bees was chasing me !!! :p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts