Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How rude of me ;)

I had forgotten to introduce myself before starting my endless list of beginner questions to the patient experienced runners!!! :d I am a postgraduate human rights student in the University of Essex, discovering that my long-assumed truths "I HATE running", "running is boring", and "I can't run if I don't have an angry basketball coach yelling at my back" are out of date.

I'm really happy to discover, at the age of 27, that I actually love running. I've only been doing it for a couple of months, but it's becoming quite a healthy and rewarding "obsession".

Being 6.5 feet tall and weighing 15 stones (yes, I needed a unit converter from cm and kg) I am quite slow :embarrassed:, but I'm used to always being the slowest guy in the basketball team so I can cope with it :asleep:

Thanks for all the information and encouragement, it's helping A LOT so far.
So... nice to meet you all! :p

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Hello there Jon

Welcome to RF.... nice bunch of people here, good advice etc.... so you become bitten by the bug then :)

I been running since October last year and not stopped running .......... run forest run.... no seriously ... i love the club i joined and the races (most of them)

Dont worry about your height all different sizes and shapes run.. my ex is 6ft 5 and he used to be a cross country runner and it never stopped him... apart from is it cold up there jokes etc.. :p

So welcome to the Forum

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Leece! I'm impressed by your progression having started only last October:eek:
I guess you were doing other sports before?

LEECE said:
apart from is it cold up there jokes etc.. :p
Well, it happens all the time, everywhere, so... one just gets used to it:asleep:

I'd like to choose a race to motivate myself start a training plan, but as I have no idea where I'll be after May :eek: still can't start my planning :( so meanwhile I will just run Forrest run :d

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Jon why dont you just look for a 5k race somewhere, thats how i started with race for life... its a good buzz and makes you feel good crossing that finish line... Colchester is lovely place to run also i bet there is some nice races coming up in a few months.

Jon i trained myself up from running 5k to running 13.1 miles with the help from my club members, before i joined a club i used to go to the gym five days a week for a hour in my lunch break.

If i can do it anyone can it just takes mental ability at times :d

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Well you are formally welcomed to RF :d

TT

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks!!! :d
You're too good! You should be a little meaner to the newcomers :p , like teasing us to improve our slow times or something ;)

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
you should be part of our club they do that to me :p

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Now come on Steve you have to play nice :d

Leece I wouldn't put up with it chairman or not :eek:

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
least we earn the most club points for league positions ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:d :d :d that's better! :d :d :d

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
thats ok i got cunning plan sunday when he wants me to pass him juice at the 20ish mile mark

:p

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
One thing you will definitely find on here Jon is that any thread you create will nearly always get hijacked by some joker or another, let me tell you nothing is sacred - Nothing ;)

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
told you i want a most smiley prize on presentation evening please. :p

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
LEECE said:
thats ok i got cunning plan sunday when he wants me to pass him juice at the 20ish mile mark

:p

yeah like it leece no messin wit you :d

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One thing you will definitely find on here Jon is that any thread you create will nearly always get hijacked by some joker or another,
I see, TT, no etiquette! That's what makes it so fun AND addictive, I guess......my take home exams are already suffering from it :embarrassed:

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
you have us sussed I can tell :d

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Nope messing with me faster or not :p ..........

arr Jon you are getting the feel for this place already (in yoda voice) :p

1 - 20 of 20 Posts