Runners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after last week's crisis I've just had an interesting morning - I ran down to the running group (2 miles mainly downhill), did the session but mostly walked and very slow jog with one of the very new runners -then run/walked home et voila!! http://connect.garmin.com/activity/156776759
I ended up doing 10km (give or take) and at a very similar pace to the Sunderland 10km race that I did last year! (It was very hot last year for the Sunderland - 24deg, plus I hurt my achilies tendon in about the first 2 km) It is particularly exciting as I was hesitating about entering the Sunderland this year due to lack of winter training but now .... I'm really thinking it might be a possibility ! Things are looking up. Maybe I've just had the winter blues and it's nothing to do with getting older :confused:

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Thats a good run there Pam.. Same pace now and a few more months to train.. no "might" about it.. get signed up!!! :)

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Ah Pam, I can't tell you how glad I am that you sound more positive today! As someone who is genuinely inspirational to so many of us on this forum, we need you to be back in the best place you can be x

·
Registered
752 Posts
:):tup:

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Pam, I saw your other post but didn't get a chance to reply before you made this one! Well done on the run and glad you are feeling more positive. :d

(To save me posting on your other thread as well, the only possibly (or possibly not) useful thing I have to add is that how you were feeling might just be part of the 'settling back in' (to living in the UK) process.
I know that you've been here a while now but it took me blooming ages to settle into Cornwall and I had a fairly major wobble after the first year - before that it was kind of like a honeymoon/holiday period but it then suddenly dawned on me that this was how it was going to be permanently and I wasn't sure I liked it. (Made a few changes and all sorted now thank goodness.)
I know our circumstances aren't quite the same but I think its maybe part of a similar process. (I might be completely wrong but I just thought I'd mention in case it helped!)

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You could be right there Jeanette - we arrived back here in November 2010, just in time for the snow and early onset of winter and it was a bit of a novelty. This winter, the novelty of long dark days has worn off a bit - so maybe it's just the winter blues. And I do sometimes miss France a bit - you know how it is, you forget the bad bits and just remember the good!

I think what I'm going to do from a running point of view, is see how my training goes and then see if I can enter Sunderland at the last minute. Or maybe I'll just set myself some running goals that don't involve 'racing'. Probably best not to make too many decisions right now - just go with the flow and get this work finished then see when I go from there.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
racey;523251I find the older I get the more difficult it is to keep motivated..[/QUOTE said:
My partner and I found one of the best ways to keep motivated is to keep entering races. Picking up the odd category prize always gives us a buzz and is an added incentive to keep going.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
My partner and I found one of the best ways to keep motivated is to keep entering races. Picking up the odd category prize always gives us a buzz and is an added incentive to keep going.
Agree entirely with Gordon - Done 44 races so far this year

We've 6 races in Wales next week, and a host planned before the end of the year -
Most orienteering races have age classes (M40, M45 and so on) so you are competing against your own age group and with orienteering we're always looking for the perfect, error free run:)
Not managed it in 30+ years of competiton but still dreaming!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts