Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

My name's Ben and I have never knowingly run more than a mile in one go, but I have now agreed to run the Rome Marathon in March 2009!

My Wife's best friend died of cancer in April this year and her husband has put together a team of 40 to raise money for cancer research. Inspired by Sophie, who was a keen runner and a wonderful person, I have raised my hand.

I play rugby every weekend, but don't do much training and am not very fit. I have just gone out and bought a new pair of trainers and now I am ready to start training but don't have a clue what I am doing. Any advice gratefully received?

Are there any 10km runs in East Anglia in Sept/Oct that I can target?

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Hi Ben...Welcome to the forum, and what a fantastic reason to start running - I wish you all the best!

I don't want to scare you off completely... but did you have a gait analysis done when you bought your trainers? i.e. did the shop that you bought them from watch you run before suggesting trainers for you, and then watch you run in suggested trainers to ensure they suit your style of running?

If not then I'd suggest taking your new trainers back, and going somewhere that analyses your running style. Being a new runner looking to train towards longer distances, (and as a rugby player I'm guessing you're bigger than most?) you'll be very succeptable to injury in the early stages of your running career - and whilst it may sound daft to a newcomer, running shoes vary massively and are designed to suit various running styles (gaits). Google or search the forum for "pronation" or "Gait analysis" and you'll soon see what all the fuss is about ;)

·
Registered
634 Posts
You (probably) won't regret it - I think if you're going to do a marathon then there's no better way than to go with a gang of 40 friends with the aim of raising money for your best friend's wife.
8 months is plenty of time to get in reasonable shape, just get some decent trainers and start training.... then SLOWLY increase your mileage (no more than 10% per week, according to the experts).

Rome is a spectacular city and the course takes in most of the main tourist attractions, but, apparently, the marathon organisation leaves a little to be desired...so get there early and learn the Italian for "Where the f**k are the toilets?".

Good luck and expect tears at the finish line...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hi Ben

Good luck with your training I'm sure you will be fine, just make sure you build up to it very slowly to try prevent injuries.

You say you've got new trainers, did you get your gait analysed and have the trainers recommended from this? If not then it would probably be best to take the trainers you have bought back to the shop (if you not already worn them that is) and find a good running shop to get your gait analysis done so they can advise the best trainers for you.

Hope it all goes well:)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Richard

You're right, I'm 6'5" and 17 1/2 stone. Just bought a pair of Asic GT2130 from the loacal sports shop, with no gait analysis. Is the cost of gait analysis added to the shoes? Is it just a way of getting you to buy very expensive shoes? The ones I have bought have raised arches, which I was told would help with my slightly flat feet!

I never thought running would be this complicatd!

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
It's like anything... the more you look into it, the more complicated you learn it can be! Sometimes ignorance is bliss. lol.

I would take a wild stab and say there's a strong chance that the 2130's would suit you, as the majority of runners overpronate, and the 2130's are designed to correct some over-pronation, and there's plenty of cushioning to go with it. This said, you could quite easily NOT be an overpronator, which would mean your trainers could cause an injury over prolonged periods of running.

A gait analysis is usually free - I've not heard of anywhere charging for it, and it'd be well worth doing. It sounds like the place you went had a certain level of knowledge (I'm guessing they assessed your feet in some way to determine you were flat footed?!) - Though some form of dynamic assessment (i.e. assessing you while you run) would be preferential.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Hi Ben...

Well done for jumping in at the deep end ;) I'm sure you'll be fine though... there's plenty of advice, knowledge and support on here.

Have a look at this... ASICS - Tech Tours they do a really thorough gait analysis, well worth it when you're starting out running. And it's free...no obligation to buy at all. There might not be one near you but it's worth a try.

As for Rome marathon... I did it in 2005. It's a great event, loads to see on the course although I was a bit too worried about the cobbles so was looking down quite a lot.
The start was a tad disorganised when I did it, although it may have improved. So plan to get to the start with plenty of time...but you don't have to think about that stuff yet.
The goodies they give you are plentyful, and the medal was lush... you will enjoy it :)

Once you've got your trainers sorted you'll need to start thinking about getting the training started. An actual marathon training schedule usually lasts for 16-18 weeks, but it would be useful if you can get used to regular training in the lead up to starting the schedule, so it's not such a shock to the system.

I'm not so sure that rugby and general running mix very well so you'll need to be careful to avoid injury. Footballers who try to mix it with running tend to become injured more often.

I hope that's helped in some way, and given you some pointers :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the advice guys. I am going for my firts run tonight, I'll start with about 2km and build from there I think.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Somebody has just sent me a training schedule based on the Galloway run/walk method. Has anybody used this? Is it a good way to train for/complete a marathon?

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I'd say run/walk was a great way to get into running, but personally if I was able to complete marathon distance in one outing, I'd be looking to run as much of it as possible.

See how you get on tonight; everyone has their own way of doing things - there's no set way that it must be done, just suggestions based on convention ;)

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Somebody has just sent me a training schedule based on the Galloway run/walk method. Has anybody used this? Is it a good way to train for/complete a marathon?
Given that you have so much time to train before the marathon you could probably complete that schedule and then move up to the next stage schedule, which would take out the walking

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A new pair of trainers doth not a runner make!

Right, did my first run - about 2.5 miles in 27 minutes. God did it hurt! Shin splints, stomach cramps, sore ankles and what felt tlike a collapsed lung. My run/walk method becam more like WAAAAALk/run, but I got there. I hope it can only get better!

You're right Trinity, I do have quite a long time, but I think I will need every minute!

·
Registered
511 Posts
A new pair of trainers doth not a runner make!

Right, did my first run - about 2.5 miles in 27 minutes. God did it hurt! Shin splints, stomach cramps, sore ankles and what felt tlike a collapsed lung. My run/walk method becam more like WAAAAALk/run, but I got there. I hope it can only get better!

You're right Trinity, I do have quite a long time, but I think I will need every minute!
Hi MF, and welcome aboard from another newby runner with a signed up marathon to train for (FLM2009).

I started about 11 weeks ago from what could only be described as 'less than a standing start' fitness wise, and you will find it is quite incredible the progress you can make in what seems a very short time, even if it doesn't appear that way at the time.

One thing you will find in very short time though is that it was one of the best decisions you've ever made, I know I certainly did!

Also, I notice from your list, you didn't have the debilitating thigh, or excrutiating knee pains so its sounds like your a natural :p:d

Not only CAN it get better, but it WILL, and easier !

B.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Very depressed now. What I thought was 2.5 miles turns out to be 1.9 miles, and it took me just as long tonight and hurt more!

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Very depressed now. What I thought was 2.5 miles turns out to be 1.9 miles, and it took me just as long tonight and hurt more!
Hi Ben , It may be worth starting off at a reduced distance, espescially if your struggling or in pain. A mile walk/run is fine to start, gradually increasing the length of your runs each week, is a tried and tested method' and should hopefully reduce your chances of getting injured ,which a too much too soon aproach is almost certain to do.

I know it seems like a very short distance when training for a marathon,however remember the race isn't until next year .

So to ensure you get to that point in the best shape possible take things slowly,you'll find that your progress will be much smoother . :)

The views expressed above are bourne out by my own personal experience they in no way have to be followed or adhered to in any way .

I never listen to my own advice which is why i'm sitting at this keyboard injured and not out running:((

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Much Happier today:d

Mapped my rout on mapyourrun.co.uk and found out that I am running 2.1 miles not the 1.9 that I thought it was.

My first 2 days times were about 27 minutes and couldn't get anywhere near my run 3 minutes/walk 1 minute aim.

Tonight I did run 3/walk 1 all the way and got my time down to 21:30! :happy:

A huge improvement and v chuffed, BUT not happy with my 1000 mile double layer socks - I got a blister within the first mile! :( My Hilly Twin Skins worked brilliantly the first 2 nights so I am going to have to buy some more

1 - 20 of 23 Posts