Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night i officially joined a running club in manchester and went out for my first run.

My running has improved a lot but i have only ever been running in the gym just to get my fitness up. I always avoided going out on the road just purely because i would be out on my own etc etc

But last night i realised that all the hard work had paid off and i was at the front of the group the whole three miles. The time flew and i was feeling great at the end.

I am aiming to do a half marathon in Oct so i am on target. It was just that first step i needed to take. The group were lovely and welcoming so that made a huge difference.

Gold star for me....i think i have got the bug now so i know what you guys have all been talking about!! lol :rolleyes:

My advice - join a club!!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Lol that sounds awesome... I'm still in doubt as to how beneficial a club would be for me though - the road/trail is my therapist.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
I don't think I've come across a single person yet who's joined a club and said "yeah... it hasn't really done a great deal for me to be honest"

Joining the club has to be the single best thing I've done to improve my running since I started - it's worth joining one ANS... if you still enjoy the runs on your own, you can say run with the club even just once a week :)

·
Registered
707 Posts
Hrrmm... perhaps for my speed workouts it would be good to rely less on going to the gym to use the treadmill, if I can find one that uses a track or something then I'll think about it...

·
Registered
707 Posts
Lol I guess... meh I dunno... running with people... I'm VERY social, but running is my alone time, even if it was just once a week... :confused: I don't wanna sound cynical or anything, but everyone always says how welcoming people are in clubs and stuff... but I know deep down they would be laughing at me as I struggle at the back... *emo runner!!!* :p

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
no they would not ans .... no one laughs at each other at ours, we take the mick out of each other but not the running aspect.......... well i dont and I HOPE the others dont :p

·
Registered
707 Posts
I'll get over my fear of running with others at some point... maybe. I'm fairly sure I'd be running at the back. I'm not very speed-fit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I thought that but i was actually nearer the front!! Shocking result but at least i have some comparison now.

Being around other runners gives you an idea of how good/bad you are.....i was surprised but i can also use the advanced groups to see how much work i have to do.

Chatting while running makes sure you don't go too fast too apparently........so you keep a check on your pace??

i am still going to enjoy my lone runs tho too, don't get me wrong

·
Registered
707 Posts
But what if I already KNOW I'm bad? I've been running with the ex and some other male friends and they do barely no running at all and they just run really fast. One of my friends though, he says he only has one pace which is really bad actually - he's wanting to do the half marathon as well, but he says he can do about 6 miles before his legs feel like they want to give out. I figure I'm slow, but at least I can cover the distance. Anyway - I have had a look to see what running clubs are in Shef and have speed nights, but I'm confused. The website I looked at had WAY too much info for me to take in, so I might have another looksy when I have time to take it all in.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes but there is a fair chance that there will be folks that are slower than you too so you can get the best of both worlds.

It has taken me almost 18months to get the this stage. First i just did what i could, then i moved to a 5k training plan then i did what felt comfy then finally printed off a half marathon training plan. I've been chipping away slowly but it has taken a fair while becuase i was never ever sporty before this an so my fitness was below zero.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
LEECE said:
no they would not ans .... no one laughs at each other at ours, we take the mick out of each other but not the running aspect.......... well i dont and I HOPE the others dont :p

Of course they don't...we're a team and appreciate everyones' efforts.:d

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
JessW82 said:
Yes but there is a fair chance that there will be folks that are slower than you too so you can get the best of both worlds.

It has taken me almost 18months to get the this stage. First i just did what i could, then i moved to a 5k training plan then i did what felt comfy then finally printed off a half marathon training plan. I've been chipping away slowly but it has taken a fair while becuase i was never ever sporty before this an so my fitness was below zero.
Being in a club will help you improve a awful lot quicker, IMHO. If you stick with it, you'll complete your half marathon no problem.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I've been thinking of going to my local club. I am actually a member :embarrassed: as it was cheaper to get a family membership rather than just for my daughters.

I'm a bit put off to due to me not being very fast. I am just doing about 10-11 minute miles. But then again we've all got to start somewhere.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts