Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
well done for doing it without stopping.. and a good time for ur first :)

personally i wouldnt class a non race as a pb.. just a target time for my first race :)

·
Registered
634 Posts
Well done done to you too Heinzster - maybe you should have a race with Littlered:d

PS: very bad form. You'll probably be banned;):p

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Good work! Events are usually better for PBs just because of the adrenaline and preparation work, but I'm sure you won't offend anyone by recording this one for now! :)

Got any events planned out of interest?

·
Registered
635 Posts
What a brilliant feeling it is to reach 5K, it's like a bench mark. And you have done it. Well done

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Got any events planned out of interest?
Not really. Just looked at website of local running club and they have the link below

Ballymena Runners race Over The Glens Website

I quite fancy it, but what isn't obvious is that the course is basically up a mountain:'( but what better way to bring in 2009?

Also like the idea of Rathlin Run but there is no way I'd be ready for it this year (in about 2 weeks time for 10.8 miles) Definitely on the horizon for next year. What I'm pleased about is that there are quite a few races each week for the next couple of months. I think I'll plod along for another few weeks until I feel a bit more comfortable with my pace and so on and then enter something - maybe even a 10K!

·
Registered
635 Posts
We are amazing, and what a buzz. I was like "I just ran 5K!!!!!!!" this time last year I could not run at all!!!

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Post it. All my PBs are from time trials :p
Do you mean self-timed ones! It will be interesting to see how your time trials compare with official race times. I'd think your race times should be a lot quicker. I've never yet run a time trial faster than a race. Look forward to your time in a good 10K when the adrenalin is really flowing.
Cheers!

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Do you mean self-timed ones! It will be interesting to see how your time trials compare with official race times. I'd think your race times should be a lot quicker. I've never yet run a time trial faster than a race. Look forward to your time in a good 10K when the adrenalin is really flowing.
Cheers!
Yeah, all self timed and running alone with my ipod. You're probably right that in a race I should run faster, because when you run alone it is inevitable that you will switch off sometimes and the pace will drop. I don't think I've ever completely pushed myself over the last mile of a self timed run. It's hard to motivate yourself to do that when there is nothing really at stake.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Now I need advice! there is a 5k run not far from home on Sat 30th - 2 weeks away. Given I ran my first ever 5K yesterday (and my first ever minute about 5 weeks ago) with a time of just under 35 min would I make a complete fool of myself if I entered?:worried:

·
Registered
693 Posts
I would go for it, 35mins isnt too bad I think for a 5km and you'll probably get quicker by then anyway

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Do it! Do it! Do it!

What have you got to lose. You know you can finish and the excitement of the day means you will run faster than in practice.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
You wouldn't make a complete fool of yourself at all. I'm sure there will be lots of runners completing a 5k in 35 minutes or more. You certainly won't be last in the race, so no shame there.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts