Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok here goes.

I started increasing my mileage from 15 miles per week to say about 25 miles per week and started have a dull ache in my shin immediately after running. This carried on for a few times going out and on the last attempt I had quite sharp pain in the same leg as soon as I started. I carried on running just 8 minutes and decided I had to stop.

I put all the above down to shin splints and rested my leg completely from running for 10 days, I then went to a proper running shop to get my shoes checked out (Asics Gel 1120's) and he confirmed that they were fine for my pronation so didnt think the injury was down to my running shoes but more likely down to my increase in running mileage.

I went out on Saturday to do 15 minutes light running on grass (i normally run on pavement) around a field to test my leg and all was fine, walking back I had a few twinges but only once or twice. I got back rested and then went out again tonight and again done about 15 minutes on the grass but this time I started to get the sharp pain back again just every now and again but now im getting worried and abit down hearted.

If youve seen my previous posts Ive gone from couch potatoe to running 3-5 miles every other night and was well chuffed but now Im worried im not even going to be able to run for half an hour.

Can anyone suggest maybe a back to running plan or what I should be doing now as I really dont want to give up :(

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Hi Technium

Something similar happened to me, it turned out I'd torn a muscle in my calf. If what you have is a torn muscle or something similar then another couple of weeks will probably fix it (they take darned ages :mad: ) If you've already tried resting it for 10 days, my suggestion would be to see a physio, who will (hopefully) tell you exactly what's wrong, how to fix it and how to stop it coming back.

The classic way to get injured through running is to increase your mileage by large amounts and push yourself too hard. Does anyone know the recommended maximum you're supposed to increase your mileage by each week? Isn't it something like 5-10%? You're almost guaranteed to injure yourself if you increase by more than this amount, at least, i always do :(

Anyway, it sounds like you're doing really well :) I suspect you'll be back to it in a couple of weeks or so. Meanwhile, maybe switch to swimming for a bit?

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Katten said:
Does anyone know the recommended maximum you're supposed to increase your mileage by each week? Isn't it something like 5-10%?

Yep, it's 10% or thereabouts if you're on a relatively low mileage.

So technium, going from 15 miles a week straight to 25 is a definite no no :confused: You could have probably gone to 17 and increased by 2 miles every other week, but any sharper increase and the injury risk is too high. I'm sorry you had to find out the hard way though.

Rest is the key, you could also try alternating an ice pack with heat (ie hot water bottle). 10 to 15 mins ice/10 to 15 mins heat, do that for an hour and rest it as much as you can, then try a gentle run after a week or so. If it still hurts then stop. You'll need to be patient I'm afraid, and if you're anything like me...being patient with injuries doesn't come easy

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Hi technium,

Definately too much of an increase, like Trin says, rest is the only real cure. I did the same thing myself a while ago and then tried to run again far too soon and the injury hung around for ages - easier said that done I know.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone.

When you say rest you mean just rest from running right, im still able to walk about and stuff as obviously I do alot of walking at work.

Also when you say rest from running how long are we thinking? 1 week, 3 weeks? and how do I know when im ready to start again?

Ive found a few stretches to do to help with this injury so am hoping that this will help strengthen the part aswell.

thanks again for your advice.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
How long? is a difficult question and varies from person to person, I'd suggest certainly a couple of weeks with no running and take a very gentle run to see how it feels.You'll soon know as you said sometimes after 15 mins if begins to hurt.

When I've not been able to run through injury I use a push bike to try and keep fit and ease back into it slowly.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
A session with a recommended physio might help answer some of your questions - shin pain could be anumber of things and if it get really bad you can develop stress fractures. I've had a reoccuring problem with my shins for some time I think I might need a second opinion and I need some new ice packs.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I've suffered from shin splints in previous years but don't really have a problem now. I think you are especially vulnerable if you are a newish runner & try to increase too quickly. Over time your calf muscles & shin area will get more used to running, but you have to be very careful building mileage in the meantime. Do not try and run through them, as you'll just end up no being able to run at all.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I had shin splints and it took me 2 years to get rid of them. *THIS IS MY EXPERIENCE*.

The dorsiflexor muscle is the one that lifts your foot up to point towards you. When you plant your heel down, this muscle prevents your foot from 'slapping' on the ground. When it slaps, the jarring effect can actually tear bone from your shin attached to tendons.

This is also the muscle that controls your right foot when you are feathering the throttle whilst driving... interestingly...

Anyway. When this muscle works hard and goes hard (like they all do eventually!) it swells up and stiffens, and because it passes between bone, there is nowhere for it to swell to so the blood supply get's cut off and it stops being useful, then you slap the ground loads and get shin splints.

The answer for me was to train this muscle in endurance so it was very good at repeating the cushioning movement it needs to do to gently allow your foot to hit the ground.

I started by just lifting my foot up whilst at my desk at work, until the muscle went hard, then I massaged it out, let it relax and repeated. Just playing with what it could do and what hurt. Eventually I could just sit there for 10's of minutes just lifting it and putting it back down again.

It takes AGES for the actual damage to go away, and in hindsight, I should have continued my muscle development work and switched to cycling/swimming until a) the muscle was better and b) the damage had completely healed.

Typical symptoms are when you initially run it's painful, then you go through a period that's relatively pain-free, then it starts to hurt again during the later stages of the run. This is what happened to me, and it fools you into thinking you can run through it. What actually happens is that the period of respite during the run shrinks until it's pure pain and then you are done for.

As I said, I'm no doctor/physio, that's just my experience with shin splints, hope it's a bit useful for you, and I completely know how you are feeling, and I can only say that YOU WILL GET THROUGH IT!!! Don't give up!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Having suffered with stress fractures before, the pain that you experience with shin splints and stress fractures is very different. A dull ache is a good way to describe the shin splits pain but when you say "sharp pain" I would say that it could be a stress fracture. These come on very quickly - there is no warning usually. If you go to your sports injury person they will get you to hop on the spot - if you can't do this without the sharp pain then the chances are it's a stress fracture. Also, most of the pain that is experienced occurs when you're not training (simply relaxing watching TV, etc) again sharp pains in shin.

I ran a marathon end of September no problem. Took nine days off and then ran 3 1/2 miles on the treadmilll no problem. Then in the last 200 yards - developed stress fracture again. I'm now into my 4th week of not running - I'm hoping it's not like the last when I had to take 12 weeks off to get them to heal.

Be careful.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok heres abit of an update but im also upset.

Ive been reading loads about stress fractures and was concerned as I NEVER goto doctors or hospitals, anyway someone on a physio website said the way to test for stress fracture would be to hop on problem leg and if it hurts then its a stress fracture and said theres no way you would get to 10 hops, so I tested it and managed 20 no problems and no pain wuhu so shin splints it is then :)

Next thing ive been doing loads of different stretches to help with shin splints from walking on heels and walking on tip toes to doing other stretches that are meant to help.

Ive also spoke to our closest running shop (60 miles away) who happened to do my gait analysis last week and he also suggested some Suborthane (SP) double strike insoles which ive purchased and ive also purchased a shin splint sleeve and ive rested the leg from running since Monday and am hoping to try again this coming monday which with the combination of the stretches, correct trainers, shin splint sleeve and better shock insoles I might be able to start running again BUT........

Ive just had a chat with a guy who used to run many moons ago and he said shin splints can be unrecoverable from, he reckons and this is what im asking for your input on, he reckons that if you suffer from shin splints its your body telling you to give up, your body cant cope with the running and to not run no more, not rest, he means give up completely. He said no amount of stretches, excercises etc will help and it will just keep re occuring.

Now im concerned as ive got the bug and seriously missing going for a run and I dont want to have to give up so is he correct??? :(

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
technium said:
he reckons that if you suffer from shin splints its your body telling you to give up, your body cant cope with the running and to not run no more, not rest, he means give up completely. He said no amount of stretches, excercises etc will help and it will just keep re occuring.

is he correct??? :(
Complete Bollox.......(Sorry Ladies).....

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Hi Technium,

I can cheer you up, recently I have had all sorts of weird shin related pain and I eventually went to see a Physio you confirmed that I was suffering from shinsplints. Needed to have a few weeks off and carry out a number of exercises (strengthing and stretching) which I still do now.

She also fitted me with some Orthics (sp) which raised my heel up slightly and now running with those in I am pain free - (wish I gone to see her earlier as each time I ran the pain started earlier)

Go see a physio and get checked out.

I'm sure you'll be fine - pecker up !!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Dave said:
Complete Bollox.......(Sorry Ladies).....
LOL well said Dave, no need to apologise :d

So some good news with no stress fracture, I know it must be frustrating but rest will really be the way forward and when you do start running again go out gently and don't run for too long and build yourself back up again.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks you guys (and the girls) for your advice.

Granty what excercises / stretches do you have to do as they may aid me, if thats ok?

I want to see a physio but really cant afford it at the moment, we had to stretch ourselves just for me to get the shin sleeve and insoles and ive heard orthotics are also expensive, I thought getting my running checked at proper shop was it, are you saying now that I still might need something else, isnt that what the correct trainers are for?

ARghhhh so many questions.......sorry lol

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I also had correct trainers fitted from a shop as well but this still did not stop my suffering from shinsplints.

I was also concerned about the cost of Orthics as I had heard of some cost hundreds of pounds but these were the custom made and moulded to your foot, luckily the once she gave me were 'out the drawer' and cost 37 quid.

The session cost £40, I was also reluctant to go at the start given the cost but it was the best money I have spent in a long time and loved the fact that I can once again run without breaking down after 1/2 mile.

G.

PS - Technium, I'll PM you with the exercises, I'll try and scan them in.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks Granty that will be a great help.

I think I will see how I do with the stretches, shin sleeve and new insoles next week and if still no joy I will take your advice and seek out a physio. Is it just a normal physiotherapist or is there specific sports ones and how do I find a sports one if thats the case are they under sports therapists in the yellow pages or something?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts