Runners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I've been reading these forums for a couple of weeks now but I thought I'd break my silence to share with you my insufferable and probably quite disproportionate glee!! :d :d

I started running about 3 months ago, at which point I literally couldn't even make it to the end of the road and back. In a car. No, only joking, but I definitely couldn't run it without collapsing in a big heap of jelly! I've been gradually building up over the last few months and getting better without even really noticing, and over the last week or two I've been edging that little bit closer -- and today I finally broke the 5k mark! Actually, it was a little bit over, about 3.2 miles. I did it in just under half an hour -- not sure whether that's particularly good or not, but in my mind it's practically Olympic!

I also found that the second I'd finished, a completely selective memory system kicked in and I found myself forgetting all the difficult bits and thinking things like "God, that was easy, why did I stop?! Why not 10k?!" which is a bit of an alarming side-effect and should probably stop before I become known as the Girl Whose Legs Fell Off. :rolleyes:

I know loads of people run loads further every day without even breaking a sweat (although their glands must be significantly superior to mine!) but to me this is something I really never thought I'd do, and I'm just generally really pleased! :lol:

And even just by lurking on this forum I've already picked up a lot, so I'm sure I'll be running marathons in no time now I've actually started participating in it! ;) Well, maybe not, but hello anyway! How was your day? :)

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Ahh A Lurker :) Welcome to the light. And congratulations on your achievement.

Don't belittle it. Getting to where you are is as much an achievement as running a marathon. You are right about being tempted to do more. Be careful to keep building up slowly and you should keep away from the injury threads.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Congratulations you've done really well. Beginning running is hard ! You've made really good progress and sound very motivated. To infinity and beyond ... !

·
Registered
664 Posts
Love your enthusiasm Katy, keep it going. You have started running over 30 years earlier than I did ! Wish I had discovered it long ago, it's never to early or late to start.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Blast!!!!!!!

You`ve beaten me too it Katty..... I`m almost there...

Well done..... keep it up...

Do your friends think your mad aswell.....:lol:

ps... hello everybody....

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Great achievement Katy.

Well done and welcome.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Morning Katy,

First of all, welcome to the forum :) I'm glad to hear you've picked up some info from the forum whilst lurking, but even more glad you've made your first post - you're now officially part of the Runners Forum family ;)

Congratulations on your achievement - sometimes it's easy to feel like we're just doing the same thing and not really getting anywhere, but when you remember back to when you started and then break a milestone just as you have done, you suddenly realise what I huge amount you've achieved. And your times not bad at all either! :d

Give yourself a big pat on the back, and I'm sure it won't be too long before that 5k is a 10k (and we'll all start badgering you to enter a race ;))

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Welcome to RF Katy.

Good running. Keep it up...don't lose enthusiasm. Build up distance and speed gradually.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Blast!!!!!!!

You`ve beaten me too it Katty..... I`m almost there...

Well done..... keep it up...

Do your friends think your mad aswell.....:lol:

ps... hello everybody....
Welcome Roland.

Let us know when you get there........:d

·
Registered
419 Posts
Super stuff Katy!

Now............. come race - since you're surrey based, come along to BPTT or one of its friend events - at sub-30 you'll find heaps of people to keep you company, to chat with or (more likely) to race!!!! You'll love it!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hi

Hi Katy

Super achievement you should be very pleased with yourself.

I recently broke the 5k barrier too, a little long than you but I too was over the moon.

There are a lot of good people on this forum who are so willing to help you and encourage you. They'll have you lined up for a race in no time. :lol:

Well done again and good luck.

Safe Running

Peter
:d

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
well I did it.....

Bramshill forest Hampshire....

I didn`t time myself...

100% off road....

super happy...

Thanx Katy for your little story as it gave me that xtra bit of motivation...... ;)

GAME ON......

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Welcome Katy, and Roland... great running from both of you

And Katy, that's a respectable time!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Nice going Katy and Roland, welcome to RF.

Keep us posted on your progress, and get yourselves entered into a race you won't look back. :d

TT

·
Registered
96 Posts
Brilliant well done! Ive been running for a few weeks and last night I ran my first mile! So yayy us! Im hoping to do 5k in a few more weeks, I'll hopefully be up to speed by then...

You must feel fab! And so you should! ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts