Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a pretty depressing 18 months where despite running virtually every day, I managed to gain a pound a month. It was a mix of poor diet and ‘lazy’ slow 4 milers.

Along came the lockdown and during the initial 2 weeks I milked my allotted 60 mins to rack up some good 6 milers, then kicked on to a more strategic 3 runs per week, but a mix of 7 to 9 miles.

My question is how to protect this progress but kick on again? Are things working because I’m always having 3 or 4 days rest days a week? Should I mix it up and maybe doing consecutive shorter days again? Would an easy 3 or 4 miler be more beneficial than a day off between two 9 milers?

I’m 37, 5 ft 10, but weighing in at 13 st 10 so still a fair bit over my target race weight of 13 stone max, or ideally 12 st 10.

I now dare to dream of getting back down to 12 stone as I was around 28!!!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Others may individually have a different experience but, generally, running is not a brilliant way of controlling weight. Indirectly, your other habits potentially work better. I'm thinking of cutting out fatty and sugary artificial snacks, preparing more healthy food from scratch and eating healthily generally.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand that school of thought and for me this is why I need to avoid shorter 4 or 5 mile runs. The calories they burn can easily be consumed later that day.

The longer runs force me to eat something light and sensible, hydrate, then the run itself starts typically around 10:00-11:00. This means when I get back in at lunchtime I eat lighter as the longer cardio curbs my hunger. It then becomes impossible to not have a significant cal deficit that day when by lunchtime I’m probably sitting at -1200 calories.

I’ve lost 10 pounds during the lockdown but ran about 260 miles so a decent return when it’s something you enjoy.

I want to up the mileage but didn’t know if I should just stick to the same format, 3 or 4 long runs which now include relatively comfortable 10 mile routes.

I’m tempted to take 2 days off then try a slow half but maybe that’s just counter productive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My understanding of fat loss from running is that you need to exercise for 30 mins. to deplete your glycogen
(naturally stored in your blood and liver) at which point you effectively "run on empty" and so you start burning fat.
Running is a difficult way of losing weight, if you replenish your system after a run, you're probably putting back most of what you've lost!
After a run,you will generally re-hydrate with water or an isotonic drink but I find that within half an hour I can't resist a pastrami sandwich or a bowl of ice cream.
The problem of weight loss from running is that you run for the love of running, to then deny yourself food afterwards seems counter - intuitive, a psychology I find difficult to overcome myself, personally.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts