Runners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really feel like giving up.

For a few months now its been one injury after another, even with some good stretching. Knee, ITB, Quads, Shins and now my back. This has been an on-going niggle for at least 2 months.

I cycle a lot and run a few times a week. Havent run now for at least a week - seems to agrivate my back more.

I have tried some back stretching exercises, without a great deal of success. The pain goes for a while then returns after exercise.

Im out of motivation for running now, and my cycling is in jepardy too I think, as thats causing discomfort and aching.

What would you do?

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
If you can definitely say that it is the running, rather than the cycling, that is causing your injuries, you might be better off giving up the running and concentrating on cycling. That's my opinion. I don't think I would run if it caused me painful injuries that might lead to long-term problems.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
What would I do:

Since cycling regularly will give me a level of fitness I would cut the running down drastically, maybe running for one gently run a week until I could do that every week with no problems.

Only then would I consider increasing at all.

But that is only my thoughts.

Good luck!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys

I did try laying off the running for a week, but it appeared shortly after a run.

I may see my GP just to get it checked, then maybe sports physio. Its just the money really - its expensive all this physio!

I really enjoy my running, although im not training for anything, i'd like to be doing 3 runs a week between 3 and 6 miles.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Go right back to the beginning - walking for a while, then move back up to running? I'm no expert, but you did say 'what would you do'!

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I feel for you - I would definitely get checked out by the doctor, perhaps the running/cycling is making you more aware of an underlying problem that might have caused problems sooner or later anyway?

If you have had a lot of injuries etc, have you been doing too much too quickly? Also need to verify 100% certain if it is cycling or running which is causing it.

When I got my first injury,which was caused i think by going too fast too far too soon, I rested completely for a month or so, then started off very carefully and didn't push too hard, and just built up very slowly and gradually.

The amount you say you want to run doesn't sound like a lot and shouldn't cause overuse injuries at all - but nonetheless is something you would need to work up to gradually.

So if I were you, I would give it a good rest, try some strenous walking if that doesn't aggravate it, and then get back to running slowly.

Would be a shame to destroy your enthusiasm for it by trying to run through the injury and make it worse - I know how frustrating it can be, so wish you the very best of luck getting sorted :cool:

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Oh this is sad news, don't give up check out every avenue first, I appreciate this could be costly, but I couldn't bare the thought of not being able to run.

If I take lay off periods then it's my choice I don't want to be told that I can't, which I was told earlier this year.

keep us posted on any progress or news.

TT

·
Registered
264 Posts
I wouldn't hang up your running shoes just yet. It is annoying getting so many injuries but a lot of people starting running get one or more leg injuries. You are just a bit unlucky to get so many.

As for the back injury, some injuries take ages to heal, a lot longer than a week. I did something to a muscle in my shoulder once and it was there for months, it was aching when I went running, aching when I drove. It was getting better over time, but it seemed to go on forever. I would definately go and get it checked out if you're worried about it though. Maybe do what Nat said and start doing a combination of running/walking.

If getting your back checked out isn't an option, do some research yourself. Not ideal I know, but you may find that you can find out what the problem is and find a set of exercises to help it. There are lots of different back stretches you can do which stretch different muscles.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Much agreed with singularities post - back pains can take quite a while to heal, so don't become disheartened that it came back after 1 weeks rest.

Personally I'd temporarily drop the running, maybe do the odd one here and there, and do a lot of work on core strength. From a simplistic viewpoint, running doesn't really require anything from the back muscles - or at least you're certainly not stressing them to their limits, so by strengthening the abs, obliques, back muscles etc you should find they become much more resistant to pains from running.

Best of luck :)

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I quite agree Rich, that is what I have to do permanently now, to keep my spine supported, I do get the odd twinge now but I don't collapse anymore which is a bonus.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Don't give up Sargent it does get better honestly. Try and get your GP to refer you to a NHS physio some of them are really good - try pointing out to your GP that prevention is better than cure but you will be given a lot of homework to do and you need to stick with the program. Did I send you some back strengthening exercises - the problem might not be actually coming from your back it could be tight hamstrings

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Guys, im overwhelmed by all your responses.

The last few days the pain has eased, and I've been out for 2 runs - both fairly good.

I went to have a sports massage a few months ago - hamstrings,quads and calves were all tight - yet I do stretch - so I think i should refine my routine. Any suggestions?

This whole fiasco started when I changed my running shoes. This, I am certain of. I can quite honestly say that my new pair of Mizuno's are not built as well as my pair last year. They feel different, they look and feel plasticy and I just wonder how well they are supporting/correcting my over pronation.

Thanks again guys for your support - any advice on strengthening or stretches really appreciated. Its not that I havent looked on google, I have. But id rather go from personal recommendation that trying the mass of stuff that comes back from google.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
That is good news S.

I know a good website but can't remember the name of it I will have a dig around for it, it will be better than trying to explain :lol:

Or if you want to Pm me your address I will copy the exercises my physio gave me and send them to you?

TT

·
Registered
119 Posts
Sargent, calves and hamstrings being tight constantly is often a sign of weakness in the gluteal muscles and the piriformis, if you go to Solutions 4 Feet,Stretching And Strengthening Exercises there are a collection of exercise files, the PGM exercise will help to build the glutes/ piriformis, it is important to also stretch these muscles

the reason they cause problems whith the calves and hamstrings is that if the glutes are weak they allow the pelvis to roll up and down from side to side with every stride, this pulls up on the hamstring & calf of the weight bearing leg with every step as the free leg pulls the pelvis down the shock loading of the pelvis moving up on the weight bearing side tightens the muscles...multiply this by the number of strides in your run and you are looking at tight hamstrings & calves however much you try and stretch them

good luck

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hi footman
thanks - that sounds exactly my problem
i had piriformic when i started running, thankfully went away pretty quick - but its definatley a weakness of mine, and a valued stretch i do everytime i go out running/cycling
thankyou for the link

1 - 18 of 18 Posts