Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a 10 mile run that almost killed me. it was just meant to be another recovery run (I did an 8 miler last night) but the last two miles I had no energy, felt deydrated, had a runny nose and my legs just hurt. I haven't felt like this for a long time. Completd the 10 miles in 70 minutes, the last two miles run at 7:50 pace, and even that was difficult.

I think I've just overdone it this week. I just realised when I got back that I've run 46 miles since last Saturday (24 of those run at race pace). I usually run 30 miles a week on average. Do you think this might explain why I feel like crap? Should I now just take the weekend off and put my feet up? It's the damn Garmin that has made me do this.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Heh - blame the gadget :) Does sound like a bit of a hardcore week that JBB! I think you can call today your Sunday run! If it were me I'd just have a rest or recovery run over the weekend - and I do mean recovery!

Well done on coming home in 70 mins despite feeling like crap!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I think a well earned rest is in order..feet up, put Olympics on and have a pint!!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
i don't think it's the total number of miles you've done... i have done that milage for a number of weeks and you are much better than me so you should cope with that milage fine... i think it's the number of miles you've done at race pace (almost half the runs!) that killed you... tempo runs are very hard... i got a good time today but i feel bad now... it's always like this when i get a good time... i always tell myself that if you push yourself it'll hurt in the short term but in the long term it'll get better...

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know about that. They do say you shouldn't increase the weekly mileage rapidly. If you regularly run 46 miles, then it's not going to hurt you after a while, but I'm used to running a maximum of 35 miles a week. my body probably wasn't used to adding another 11 miles this week. I need to just run a lot more runs a bit more slowly. I mean todays run was meant to be a slow run, but I went through the first 5 miles in 34 minutes, which was probably a bit too quick for my legs today. Of course the dehydration probably played apart. I've been drinking lots of water but still feel thirsty.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Try using the technology.

If you are going for a slow run set an alarm to warn you if you go to fast. That way you control your runs and justify the gizmo.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
How much slower than your race pace should you attempt to run on slow run days? I'm not sure what other's do. I mean, if I average around 6:20 for my fast runs, should I be aiming for 7:30 pace average on a slow run, or even slower?

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Decided to do a recovery run today. I felt good and did a nice gentle 5 miler in 35 minutes. Not sure if this was slow enough for a recovery run but I feel good for it :) No soreness in my legs :)

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Lucky so and so.

I should be racing today, but still can't walk properly although things are improving. I would give anything to go for a nice slow run.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Just got back from a 10 mile run that was just meant to be another recovery run.Completd the 10 miles in 70 minutes, the last two miles run at 7:50 pace, and even that was difficult.
It certainly isn't what I'd call a recovery run, but each to his own. If my 10 mile PB was around 65 minutes (like yours) my recovery run times would be at least a minute a mile slower; i.e not less than 75 minutes. Relax, give yourself an easy run now and again. You shouldn't be gazing at your watch all the time.
Cheers!

·
Registered
693 Posts
How much slower than your race pace should you attempt to run on slow run days? I'm not sure what other's do. I mean, if I average around 6:20 for my fast runs, should I be aiming for 7:30 pace average on a slow run, or even slower?
Bloody hell, I really went for it today and managed a mile in 10 minutes!

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bloody hell, I really went for it today and managed a mile in 10 minutes!
Well the more you run the easier it will get. Your avergae pace will drop as you put in the miles. It just takes time. When I started running, my race pace was around 7:50. now it's a minute and a half faster. It's all about mileage in the legs.

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
There are times I go out for an easy run and everything just seems to fall into place and I end up doing a great time.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And why do you think they are evil? I think they are a great training aid. You can see exactly how you are performing. No excuses, as you can't ignore the hard data.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I must admit JB i am addicted to mine, i promise myself i am not going to look at it, *because lately i am trying to get back my fitness and not worry about my previous times etc* but how hard i try i cant help it lol ........... its saying Liiiissaaaa looookkk at meeeeee!!!

It is brilliant gadget but you can get too paranoid with them. :lol:

When i start running better it will become my best friend again :p

1 - 20 of 75 Posts