Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm 26 and am currently at the penultimate stage of selection for the Royal Marines, so I've been doing a lot of running. My cardiovascular fitness is improving very quickly, but at the moment I'm having a lot of trouble with my right knee and it's the only thing stopping me from progressing to the next stage.

To cut a long story short, I'm 99% sure that there's something wrong with my running gait.
I remember seeing something on TV years ago where a guy was filmed whilst running on a treadmill. The video was then fed into a PC, it produced a 3D model of his body, analysed his gait and identified his problem.
Can anybody on here tell me of somewhere that I could go to have this done? I'd search around but I don't even know what category it falls under (Poediatry? Sports science?), so then I thought why not ask the experts (i.e. you :) )?

Cost is no object (within reason) and I'll travel nationwide if I have to, because I really need to get this sorted ASAP.

Any help from you guys will be much appreciated.

Best regards

Leon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,059 Posts
Hi Leon. Welcome to the forum.
These days, most specialist running shops (NOT somewhere like JJB) can do gait analysis (free of charge) as an aid to selecting the correct shoe for you. You'll find that most of the regular contributors on here have had their gait analysed, and will generally recommend this to all beginners who come to the forum.
Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
835 Posts
pedestrian said:
Hi Leon. Welcome to the forum.
These days, most specialist running shops (NOT somewhere like JJB) can do gait analysis (free of charge) as an aid to selecting the correct shoe for you. You'll find that most of the regular contributors on here have had their gait analysed, and will generally recommend this to all beginners who come to the forum.
Good luck.
Welcome to RF Lean.

Pedestrian is spot on. Sweat shop are generally recommended as the best national supplier of this kind of 'free' service.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks chaps, sounds promising. Do you know if these places have the facility to analyse your gait while your run though? The reason I ask is because my local running shop seems pretty good and they have a "Gaitscan" device that you walk over, but my walking gait is fine and has never caused me any problems. I confirmed this with a few visits to a local physio who watched me on a running machine and said that my gait changed completely when I run, but he couldn't pinpoint exactly what was going on.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
13,089 Posts
If you want the full works, then you'll need to be searching for somewhere offering biomechanical assessment - running shops are gret for fitting trainers though when I last went to have trainers fitted they pretty much just looked at how my feet rolled inwards.

I've recently been to http://www.solutions4feet.co.uk for a better understanding of what my body is doing - but even that's not quite as advanced as the gait assessment you describe in your first post :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
835 Posts
LeonE said:
Thanks chaps, sounds promising. Do you know if these places have the facility to analyse your gait while your run though? The reason I ask is because my local running shop seems pretty good and they have a "Gaitscan" device that you walk over, but my walking gait is fine and has never caused me any problems. I confirmed this with a few visits to a local physio who watched me on a running machine and said that my gait changed completely when I run, but he couldn't pinpoint exactly what was going on.
As far as I'm aware sweat shop have this facility in all their branches, but I wouldn't put my mortgage on it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
Hi Leon and welcome.

Scr8pe is totally correct i went to my local sweat shop in Kent a few weeks ago and they asked me to run on the treadmill which was connectd to a laptop and they analysed you in 3D and showed me where my problem was then recommended some running shoes then ran again on the treadmill and they showed me how my problem was corrected. I was really very impressed and the shoes have made so much difference.

Forest
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,495 Posts
I`m not sure I know this Quasimodo bloke.

But the name seems to ring a bell........................:embarrassed:



.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
richardsimkiss said:
If you want the full works, then you'll need to be searching for somewhere offering biomechanical assessment...
Yer beauty! That's the terminology I was after :d

I Googled that and within minutes found this place:

http://www.footmechanix.co.uk/index.html

I'm booked in for the full works on Thursday morning. Hopefully it'll be worth the expense and the long drive down. The website looks nice so that's got to count for something ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Leon

Did you go to footmechanix? Did it prove useful? And did it prove expensive..?

I need to see someone for the whole biomechnical analysis thing - they've been recomended and have quoted me 100 quid for a consultation - don't mind paying that if it will be worthwhile.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top