Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've have a target of running 100 miles a month for this year and until 2 weeks ago I was very much on course to achieve my goal. First I got a stomach bug which stopped me running for 4 days and shortly after that one of my other hobbies got in the way, which meant that I was slightly off my target.

I now seem to have muscle strains to the whole of my left leg which is now screaming at me not to run. I have listened to my leg for two days now but it still shows no signs of improvement and I'm beginning to wonder if I've done some serious damage.

I've only been actively keeping fit for about a year or so (having reached the mid life crisis and decided to hit it head on !!)

I'm only just the right side of 50 and I wonder if maybe I should seek advice from the GP (I hate to worry them with what is potentially a self inflicted injury)? And also, if others on the forum consider that my targets are realistic or not?

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
You could go to your GP but my reckoning is that if it's muscular then there's not much that they will be able to do apart from refer you to a physio.

If they refer you, you may be lucky and get to see one soon but it's more likely that you'll have to wait a month or so.

The only other option is to find either a good sports physio or a sports masseur yourself and get them to check it out and give you some guidance. To find a good one it's usually best done through recommendation.

Meanwhile you could try some very gentle stretches

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Personally I'd think that setting a mileage target within a timeframe can be a risky business... it'd be all to easy to force yourself out the door when you're in dire need of rest just for fear of not hitting your goal!

In terms of recovery, RICE is about the best advice I could give.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
richardsimkiss said:
Personally I'd think that setting a mileage target within a timeframe can be a risky business... it'd be all to easy to force yourself out the door when you're in dire need of rest just for fear of not hitting your goal!

In terms of recovery, RICE is about the best advice I could give.
Good point Richard, I think you're right. I going to have a few days rest and forget the distance target and go back to watching my weight as that is the thing that worries me most.

Can you explain RICE, my naivety has got me again!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trinity said:
Rest
Ice
Compress
Elevate

:rolleyes:
Damn! I thought I had the excuse for a bloomin' great medicinal curry!

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
scr8pe said:
Damn! I thought I had the excuse for a bloomin' great medicinal curry!
You still have! A great medicinal curry with R.I.C.E.:d

1 - 7 of 7 Posts