Runners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
am an 18yr old and ran 16.24 5k last month. just bought nike + system and went for a 45min run at a good pace and when i finished it told me i did 5.24 miles. i was livid. is that a normal distance or is something wrong??

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Hi 7daviw41,
I ran 16:21 when I was 20 so I guess training speed wouldn't be very different.
That does sound slow.
I mean, today I ran at more or less that pace but I am training for a marathon and had a 20 mile run the day before.
So if that was supposed to be a slow, rest run, it would be ok but if you felt it was a good pace, then it's probably a good idea to check if you have the right settings on.
You can always double check the distance in www.mapmyrun.com
Let us know if it was different.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Don't believe the Nike+ until you have AT LEAST configured it to your running stride/style. My first run with Nike+ was very innaccurate, I calibrated it and it was virtually spot on when running at the same pace as I'd calibrated it to, though when I had a tempo run (and my stride lengthened) the Nike+ became less accurate again (though not as inaccurate as it had originally been).

I've come to the conclusion that although the Nike+ is fun to have if you already have an iPod nano, at the end of the day it's a glorified and well marketed pedometer! and not worth buying a iPod for if you otherwise wouldn't have (as I did) :embarrassed:

·
Registered
419 Posts
If you send me your ipod, then I will take a good look at it!

You could try plotting the route you took on gmap-pedometer.com and then comparing the result - perhaps your good pace was actually slower because you were singing along to whatever it is 18 year olds listen to...

In my day they had proper music with proper singers...

H wanders off thinking about the good old days...

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
A run is different to a race, if you were just running along and having some fun maybe you did what I usually do and ran much slower than you think. My other guess would be that the distance was more than the Nike + thought it was. At the end of the day it doesnt much matter if you were just out for a fun run :d

·
Registered
98 Posts
if he runs sub-17 for the 5k, over 45 minutes to run 5.25miles he'd have felt like he was walking.

Basically over the 5k he's averaging 11mph or so, and 5.25 in 45 is 7mph. That would feel like a complete crawl... get the distance measured as people say!!

That's a REALLY fast speed, 11mph, I'd wager the stock ped-setting assumes a MUCH shorter stride length than you are producing. Your stride length is probably around 2.1 to 2.3m and it's assuming 1.6 or so for the average starter runner which actually works, because 5.25 would translate to 8miles or so with the increased stride length.

Ho-hum, you're dead quick mate, don't worry!

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I think I'd stick with Google Earth.
Map-My-Run is ok to a point; well, actually better in some respects; but is too diagramatic. It seems that it is only the actual roads which are represented, as opposed to footpaths.
This involved a certain amount of guesswork when I was plotting last night's run, as my route went away from all the major roads and over a "blank" area of map.
Incidentally, the difference between the two measurements was something around a fifth of a mile.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
you can switch to 'satellite view' on mapmyrun, which then loads up satellite images from the googlemaps database allowing you to track your non-road movements that bit easier.

Nike+ has been driving me mad lately, It's never measured the same run as the same distance yet... including a variation of nearly 4 miles over a 4.3 mile run! Though i've just read/heard that you can map your runs on the Nike+ website. I wonder if that overules the distance measurement from the Nike+ unit itself?!

I shall report back with my findings ;)

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
you can switch to 'satellite view' on mapmyrun, which then loads up satellite images from the googlemaps database allowing you to track your non-road movements that bit easier.
Ah, thanks Richard. :) I had a feeling someone was going to come back with some info like that. It's my own fault for just rushing onto the site and rushing straight off again without really seeing what was available. :embarrassed:
I'll have another go this week-end. I liked the way that the mile markers show up as you go along...and also how the map moves to accommodate your route as you get to the edge of the screen: two things that Google Earth doesn't do. Cheers. :d

1 - 15 of 15 Posts