Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone, i was insipred by the london marathon as i was last year, but didnt do anything about it!. now im ready to get off my but. im 19 5ft 6 9 stone. i have asthama. and have never run before.

i was wondering is is possible with correct training to be able to do a 10k run in four months time? our local fun run? it something id love to achieve. we have a park about 5 mins walk from us, so i could go there and do training.

what would you suggest for a beginner who can't run for 3 mins flat without feeling like her throat is closing up! :(

ive seen people on the TV who are very overweight being able to run long distances, so the asthma im hoping wont get in the way! :)

thanks for all your advice :)

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I run with a friend at my local running club who has asthma and running seems to have really helped but you need to build up really slowly and make sure you have proper running shoes - go to a proper running shop not a High Street chain.

I think you ambition is totally achievable. If I were you I would find a walk/run training programme that gets you running continously for 30 mins - don't worry if you can't run very much at the moment as you will progress.

Have a look at www.johnbingham.com and www.runinjuryfree.com also have a look at some of the Race for Life beginners schedules - this is how I started running. I could barely run for 1 min last year today I ran 13 miles.

Good luck and let us know how you are getting on.

P.S. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
123 Posts
welcome MM go for it, i'm sure you wont regret it. I have exercised injuiced asthma and have gone from a total non runner in December to a slow but have run 10 miles runner. I jumped in a signed up for a race then next day started training- it gives you the insentive.
As SE says get the right trainers and start gently. I was also watching some of the FLM and would love to do it one year. Good luck

SE wow 13miles well done. I am aiming for 12 next week. Didn't have much time today but wanted to try Hoe part of the course so parked by Laira bridge and ran the home leg and then the out leg back about 6.5 i think. Really looking forward to May now, how about you? bet the confidence is flowing.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I actually ran over the HM route yesterday - got up extra early so I could still watch some of the London marathon. I used my HRM and ran at 75% of my working heart rate and I'm hoping to repeat the route next Sunday but maybe try 80%. It took me 2:39:16 but that wasn't at race pace so maybe I'm looking at a target time of 2:30.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
MM - go for it, much easier to start running if you have a goal to look forward to achieving (sp!)

My advice (as a relative newcomer), have a good pair of running trainers, take it slowly from the beginning, plenty of liquid before and during your run, warm up and just as importantly warm down afterwards.

10k run in four months time - no problem !! :d

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
My ex-girlfriend said: "I will not have a boyfriend with an ass smaller than mine!" :d (exact words) So she decided to do something about it...
She smoked and didn't do any exercise!
The following week she went out for a run and managed 150m!!! One hundred and fifty metres only and then had to stop!!!
She went out every day, trying to add some distance with every session.
After 2 months she ran non-stop for 57 minutes (and just over 10km).

So MM... I would say, yes, it is possible :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all your replies

i hadnt told anyone what i wanted to do, untill today i told a friend and asked if she wanted to do the race for life, 5k 3 miles. which i am definatly up for. id just love the feeling of just running, knowing im doing it! because i have never felt it before because of the asthma. i know once i see a bit of an improvement ill carry on. we have arranged to meet up for training, its good to know that someone knows, and nights are lighter now. it will be weird running in public, ill feel like everyones watching me. ill stick my sunglasses on, headphones in and away i go!

what do you wear running, baggy clothes? tight clothes? im really new to this, and not sure what is best...

i am also going to have invest in some trainers. anything else i will need?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I felt very 'self aware' the 1st few times I went out in daylight , but to be honest I don't think anyone else paid too much interest at all.

As for clothing, I guess it all depends on what you fnd comfortable. For me it is T-Shirt and shorts with deep pockets for Jelly babies, for others its an all in one Lycra suit (He knows who he is !!) :p

Things you may need?, might be obvious, maybe not, but a drinks bottle to take with you.

Good luck

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I like to wear technical tops as I sweat and they wick away the seat. I'd probably invest in a sports atch timex ironman are good.

·
Registered
71 Posts
MarilynMonroe said:
it will be weird running in public, ill feel like everyones watching me. ill stick my sunglasses on, headphones in and away i go!
I also felt the same when I first started running as the area I was going to be using always seemed to be used by lots of fit and fast looking runners! After the first couple of times I went out I realised that no one was really bothered about me plodding along puffing and panting, they were all more concerned about themselves.

That certainly made me feel better about it :d

1 - 12 of 12 Posts