Runners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have started running several times now and each time I have to pack it in with shin splints.

I recently went to a sports shop and asked for some decent cheap running trainers, and they sold me a pair for £50. When I got them home I noticed it said tennis trainers on the box, but I thought i'd still give it a go..

Bad idea, after only a few runs my shins were causing lots of pain.

Do you think I'm not meant to run, or does anyone know a good pair of cheap running trainers that will sort my problem out..

Thanks in Advance

Daz

·
Registered
220 Posts
Daz
Virtually no-one who is able-bodied has conditions that would prevent them from running. The key as you have found out is to get proper shoes. For this, you need to avoid the likes of JJB, JD, etc. They will only sell you some fashionable crap. Go to a running shop (tell us where you live and someone will recommend one) and get fitted properly.

Once that's done, avoid the mistake most beginners make, which is to do too much too soon. Your body will need time to adapt to the new stress you put it under. Ignore this and you will get injured irrespective of what shoes you wear.

hth

Greg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers Greg.

I'm from Doncaster (south yorks) And I work in leeds (west Yorks).

I think your right about trying to do too much at once, I'm a black belt in karate and kid myself on that i'm fit but i'm not at all and that's the reason I want to run, to improve my fitness and stamina.

can you recommend a good training plan for a beginner?

Thanks

Daz

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I have tried running several times over the last few years and failed due to shin splits. In November I started again to give it one more go, when I got to running for 15 mins non stop, I got bad shin splints again, I was on the verge of giving up again and a friend suggested I see a sports physio, so I did.

The out come was that I wasn't stretching properly, she showed me how to stretch properly and also suggested I stretch everyday regardless of whether I went out running or not. Since then I haven't looked back and although occassionally my shins feel a bit tender I ran 5 miles non stop last night with no pain!

S

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
The right shoes & the right stretching are both important.I`ve been running 18 months or so now,and i still get trouble with my shins if i try to run more than 4 x 5 miles in a week.It is somthing that i have found i just have to manage as well as i can to stop them getting too bad.

·
Registered
16 Posts
just get your shoes on and get out there girl this is all part of creating the strong will of wich runners are known for you you sound like your just having an off day so good luck young lady and keep drinking fluids in this heat

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers all

I am going to up and running when I've been paid to get fitted up for some shoes, I let you all know how I'm going on and thanks for the advise on training..

>just get your shoes on and get out there girl

I'm not a girl (I know crazeydazey is a bit of a girlie username though so it's ok)

Cheers

Daz

·
Registered
16 Posts
sorry dazey no offence try nike air they are abit pricey but they are good ime a heavy runner and i find them really good for support and comfort if you shop around you get agood deal i e bourne sports stoke on trent good luck daz

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would also go and complain to the shop manager in the store that sold you tennis shoes when you specifically asked for running shoes!
We let these people get away with too much.
In JJB they claim to be "serious about running" but if you go in there looking for running shoes they have absoluteley no idea what they are doing.

Sweatshop are my local shop and they would not knowingly sell you shoes that are wrong for you as they are aware of the damage that they could do to your feet, legs, knees, thighs, back etc.
As for paying £50, in sweatshop they have a number of shoes on sale that are around £40!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Iv had shin splints recently and was advised by my doctor to go back to wearing my old trainers. I bought these in a cheap shoe shop for £10. Iv only just got back out there but fingers crossed. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
When you get your new shoes and go out running don't just go haring off start really slowly so you can hold a conversation. Listen to your body and try mixing walking and running I know what you blokes can be like.

Take it easy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts