Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
... and was quite nervous beforehand.
People were friendly and I felt the need to keep running at times I would've walked if I'd been on my own. I ran more than 6 miles in the end and spent yesterday with muscles that ached more than somewhat and so rather than run as I'd intended I treated myself to some running socks.
I'm planning to go again next week.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,640 Posts
Just goes to show what you can do, nice one Thumbs. Perhaps a nice gentle 2 miler today will help those muscles. :d
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
506 Posts
Good on you, thumbs:)
I keep toying with the idea of joining my local club but I have such an erratic time, mainly with work because of working some weekends and also shifts, that I'm not sure I'd be able to run regularly with them. I'm off today, so I'm going to the hills for a change to run on my own:( Actually, I do enjoy running on my own too because my house is like a madhouse most of the time and it's a great escape for an hour's peace and quiet!:) Perhaps I'll join the club one day - I always see them at the races in their vests and feel like I'm missing out sometimes.lol. I'm sure your running will benefit from it, no doubts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,797 Posts
Joining a club has many advantages for new runners and will boost your confidence no end. You've already learned that you can run for a whole six miles when, by yourself, you'd probably have walked some of it. You might ache a bit but it's the healthy aching of muscles that have been asked to work a little bit harder. Pamper them, treat them to a hot bath or a gentle massage and they'll respond even better next time. You'll be amazed what your body can achieve if only you 'believe'. Joining a club, mixing with others who've experienced all your initial fears and doubts, and overcome them, is the best thing you can do at this early stage in your running career.
Cheers!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rob said:
Good on you, thumbs:)
I keep toying with the idea of joining my local club but I have such an erratic time, mainly with work because of working some weekends and also shifts, that I'm not sure I'd be able to run regularly with them. Perhaps I'll join the club one day
I'm lucky in that my shifts mean that I can go Tuesday one week and Thursday the next (they have club nights twice a week) but in talking to one person on Tuesday it seems that people then make their own arrangements to run together outside of club nights. It might be worth going to the club when you can just to do this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
twinkle toes said:
Just goes to show what you can do, nice one Thumbs. Perhaps a nice gentle 2 miler today will help those muscles. :d
I'd planned to do that today (but with a "very" just before the "gentle") but I'm not well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,190 Posts
Take it easy then if you are not well but well done I'm going to a new club next week so will be in a similar postion but RF offers some excellent advice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
joining a running club was the best thing i ever did. Made some great friends and we go out together at other times as well, even meet 5.55am one morning for a run!

Hope you continue to enjoy it.
good luck with the new club SE hope alls going well with the new start.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,190 Posts
Thanks Firsttimer just back from the Lake District and I'm going to collect the keys to my new place tomorrow. I have a week to settle in before starting my new job.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,654 Posts
Steady Edwina said:
Thanks Firsttimer just back from the Lake District and I'm going to collect the keys to my new place tomorrow. I have a week to settle in before starting my new job.
Good luck with new job SE......trust you're settled into your new place now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,654 Posts
Thumbs said:
... and was quite nervous beforehand.
People were friendly and I felt the need to keep running at times I would've walked if I'd been on my own. I ran more than 6 miles in the end and spent yesterday with muscles that ached more than somewhat and so rather than run as I'd intended I treated myself to some running socks.
I'm planning to go again next week.
Well done you for taking the plunge!!
I trust you will go out with them again tonight...the more you go the easier it will become.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Steve said:
Well done you for taking the plunge!!
I trust you will go out with them again tonight...the more you go the easier it will become.
I was working last night Steve but I plan to go on Thursday. I'm expecting it to be just as tiring (my legs had a gravity attack last wednesday).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,190 Posts
Runningfox said:
Which club are you joining SE?
I went along to Chorley Harriers last night - really friendly bunch of people. We ran about 5.5 miles around Chorley haven't got a clue where we went.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,437 Posts
Steady Edwina said:
Getting there Steve - still a few boxes that I haven't unpacked as I haven't any storage.
Boxes are storage SE - just position them wisely and they double up as chairs, sofa's :d
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,640 Posts
Thumbs said:
I was working last night Steve but I plan to go on Thursday. I'm expecting it to be just as tiring (my legs had a gravity attack last wednesday).

How did it go last night?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,640 Posts
Steady Edwina said:
I went along to Chorley Harriers last night - really friendly bunch of people. We ran about 5.5 miles around Chorley haven't got a clue where we went.
Do they seem like a nice crowd?
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top