Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I suffer from IBS and stomach cramps whilst running. On the odd occasion I have actually poo'd myself during a long run.

I've got a half marathon coming up soon, does anyone have any advice on how to best combat this problem. I'd rather not use imodium as I tend to feel bloated and this hampers my running.

Look forward to reading your advice.

Thanks very much

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I don't like taking immodium either but immodium plus is supposed to help reduce bloating - try taking only one

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
You're not alone, a lot of people have this problem!

With regard to the marathon itself, have your last main carbo loading meal on the Friday night (assuming the marathon is on a Sunday), then drink plenty of water and have small snacks regularly (every two hours or so) throughout Saturday. Then have a large glass of water before you go to bed on the Saturday night. This stops any build up in your system and allows it to clear itself before the race.

Two nights before a marathon is actually the most important night anyway, with regard to food and sleep. The day before is just 'topping up'. Plus I assume you'll be carrying gels or something during the race.

You could adopt this system before a long run too, it's worked for me and many others I know.

Keeping your system well hydrated is definitely one of the answers... drink plenty of plain water

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Try out a pre-race meal (or actually, a few different ones) in the days before your long runs. As if simulating race weekend conditions.
Then do the same on race weekend.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone,

I suffer from IBS and stomach cramps whilst running. On the odd occasion I have actually poo'd myself during a long run.

I've got a half marathon coming up soon, does anyone have any advice on how to best combat this problem. I'd rather not use imodium as I tend to feel bloated and this hampers my running.

Look forward to reading your advice.

Thanks very much
TumBiotix contains L. plantarum and L. acidophilus which are clinically established probiotics which when taken in combination can elleviate the symptoms of IBS and other digestive discomforts. If we can’t prove it, we won’t make it! TumBiotixs is already becoming a revolution for IBS suffers - £1 trial available NOW, limited time only TumBiotix - Promoting Bowel Health <http://www.tumbiotix.com/>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts