Runners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody! I would really appreciate some advice on what I'm about to ask you. I'm 18 years old and am very keen to do the London Marathon next year. I'm not sure what I'd be classed as - beginner, average but definitely not pro. :p

I currently play hockey once a week (this will soon to be moving up to 2 hopefully). I work out at the gym 3/4 times a week, where I do cardio mainly but also strength and do the odd bit of Fartlek training.

Can you suggest any training methods that I can do that can get me really fit or anything at all? What do I need to do at the gym? If I asked at the gym would they be able to help me with my goal? I know it's a might big one, but I've really wanted to do a Marathon!

Any help will be gratefully received! Thanks all :cool:

·
Registered
123 Posts
With regards to the gym, there are two things I'd focus on:

1.) Stamina and non-impact CV work - this could be building up some serious distances on a cross-trainer, bike and stepping machine, to be included as well as running (preferably outside);
2.) Core stability: building up strength around the torso to make your running become more efficient. These include stuff like the rowing weights, I forget what their name is. Some of these exercises might help, excuse the scary bloke in the animations, I wouldn't want to meet him in a dark alleyway http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=486&printer=1

There is also a third: upper body strength, so focussing on toning biceps, triceps etc. Its important to build these up, but not too much (I forget what you need as a long distance runner whether its tonic or twitch fibres, but lifting ridicuously heavy weights counteracts the building of the one you need, think how many sprinters you see with heavy muscles and then look at long distance runners).

Outside of the gym, make sure you're running lots and building the distances up.

Asking at the gym for advice may be a shot in the dark, some trainers are really good, have degrees in sports science and have run marathons before, others are there because they were taken on for summer work and have remained there and don't know much and can't help you with your needs.

You can get a lot of advice off this forum from runners, but to appreciate the runner that you are, you need to go to a running club and get advice from there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that! How many miles a week should I do? I've been doing some more research and I've just found a local jogging club! I'm going to join that and do some running other than that too. How many a week?

·
RunnersForum Founder
620 Posts
Mobey said:
Thanks for that! How many miles a week should I do? I've been doing some more research and I've just found a local jogging club! I'm going to join that and do some running other than that too. How many a week?
For a marathon, I would say 35-50 a week but I've not done one yet. Others might be able to give you a more accurate figure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok. I joined a running club and had a baptism of fire. I did seven miles yesterday all on hills and flat surfaces. I didn't really like the first mile but then after that I did okay. Though I now have blisters and my left hip is really sore. Anyone know what is wrong with my hip?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No. I don't have proper running shoes yet, I used my cross country ones well that are supposedly cross country. I will hopefully be getting some new shoes soon.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Re. mileage make sure you build up slowly...no more than a 10% increase per week.

You should aim to do 3/4 races during the year increasing in distance each time so that you have a good training base for a schedule of 15 weeks pre-marathon. The last 2 weeks of that schedule will be your tapering period so the real training is done over a period of 13 weeks. The most miles per week would be 40-50 depending on your ability and fitness at the time. Just make sure you do at least three 3 hour (19-22miles) runs to give yourself the best posible shot at the race itself.

I've done 7 marathons....the race is always easier than the training!

All the best and good luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts