Runners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I've been running for 4 weeks. In that time I enjoyed my runs. Yes it was stupidly early in the morning, yes it was a struggle to get out of bed, yes it hurt. But I enjoyed the sense of accomplishment when I made it back.

The past week though I have been advised to take a rest due to tendinitis. I realise now that I'm way WAY the enjoyment stage and I'm actually addicted to running. I have been waking up at 5.30 every morning without fail. My body wants to do it, it feels the need and the urge. But after one of my best runs ever, my ankle felt the worst ever. I pushed myself and now I'm paying the price. I have had tendinitis before but it has always gone within about 6 hours of finishing my run regardless of distance, and it has never been uncomfortable enough to stop my run. The last time though, the pain lasted for 4 days; I was unable to put any weight on the ankle. It has eased up now but I haven't got a doctors appointment for 5 days. By then the ankle will be fine and explaining it to the doc will be difficult with no pain and no swelling. So what do I do? Do I carry on running to feed the bug? Do I run the day/morning before the doctors appointment to aggravate the tendon? Do I rest and suffer the withdrawal symptoms?

I'M GOING OUT OF MY MIND :wacko: !!! I NEED MY HIT!!!!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
It is hard but I would rest it until you have seen the doctor, like Hrun says what if you make it worse?

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Lol! "Do I run the day/morning before the doctors appointment to aggravate the tendon?"... I can see your logic, but no, don't be silly :p

As others have said... better to endure a short layoff now rather than months layoff further down the line!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Sounds like you might need counselling aswell:);)

I understand your frustration - but as the others have said - think of the longer term, it's better to have a short lay off now than risk a more serious injury.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Also bear in mind it's not just a short vs long layoff... it's a 'voluntary' recovery period not lasting that long compared to a long, enforced, recovery from injury which will most likely be quite painful at times and also affect your everday life, making even walking around the house harder!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hate logic and stupid sensible answers. Where's all the people telling me try and have a warm down marathon or something?

You've changed.

Guess I'll just wait then :notrust: :grumbles incomprehensibly:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh and by the way, I hate this stupid informative useful forum with its stupid informative things. That stupid looking box on the screen that says "You haven't done any training so far this week" is making me feel guilty. That and the one that appears at the top of the post for my running blog that says 0.00 miles this week.

Stupid forum. Stupid data. Stupid information. It's all just stupid.

:notrust:

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I don't know you or your history, but you say you've only been running for 4 weeks.

Only based on that, it sounds like you are doing too much too soon, which is probably why you are starting to have problems.

The mind gets into running a lot quicker than the body does.

I would heed the advice to rest it and get it seen to and not risk a longer term lay off :cool:

·
Registered
693 Posts
Oh dear.......I too have only been jogging properly for 4 weeks and also really enjoy it, so much so that I hated having to go without this weekend due a friend staying over. It is too easy to get carried away and expect to achieve great things from the start but thats how injuries occur.

I would heed the advice here and lay off the running until you're completely fixed. Swimming would be an excellent substitute if you really cant go with your daily fix.

Another thing, try going outside and kicking a tree instead of slagging off this forum, I love it!

...................runs

1 - 15 of 15 Posts