Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all started running last week as some thing to do in my lunch hour and to try and keep up with my daughter.

for the first 3 days (wed,thur &fri) i ran 2.3 miles same route each day took between 35 and 30 min i think can't quite remember (didn't have the nike+ till this week). This week i plotted a run on the nike+ website of 5k as that seems to be a common distance.

Each day i've ran the same route trying to reduce the number of stops.
This last run my legs did feel a bit tired but i persevered for the first 2miles with out stopping and then i only stopped once more.

i'm going to take the next two days off and then start agin on monday and will try to run each day.

the only thing at the moment i would like to achieve are 1, complete the same run with out any breaks and 2, to try and run each mile under 8 min.
currently for the last week any way i've ran the same distance in the same time around 27.5 min from the first with several stops to the last with only two.
Am i going about this completely wrong or if i feel fine can i carry on like i am???
cheers

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Off course it's entirely a personal thing Krugger as each person responds slightly differently to training.

It sounds to me though that you're doing well! Your training has structure, you seem to have the motivation to get out and do it each day, and you've set yourself a realistic goal to keep that motivation up! I'd carry on as you are, perhaps think about throwing a few different routes in if possible to give your training some variety and hopefully help combat boredom.

Of course if you start to suffer discomfort, start to cut back and make sure the issue causing the discomfort is addressed, it may well be just doing too much, but there could be various other reasons.

As you progress more with your running, you can introduce yourself to the joys of speed work, fartlek runs, threshold runs, hill training and long runs! You could look into them now if you liked as they'd be bound to help improve your running and overall fitness, but just be wary abou overdoing it if you've only recently started.

Good Luck and Welcome to the forum!! :d

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Agree with all of the above, and as it sounds like you have started for the first time, golden rule is not to over train and build up gradually. Also, running shoes are equally important.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with the running.

·
Registered
98 Posts
When you wake up in the morning that you plan to run, before you even move out of bed, take your pulse. Then gently get up to the standing position, and settle on your feet for half a minute/1 minute or so, then take your pulse again.

If it's more than 20beats higher than resting DO NOT TRAIN AT ALL.

Also, after you've finished exercising, do 10minutes static stretching on the hamstrings, calves, quads and dorsiflexors (front of shin) and within 30minutes of stopping exercising, have a snack. Slim-fast optima shake (212 calories) is perfect, but some like a banana, or 1 round of peanut butter sandwich. Basically your legs will be craving glycogen, so give it to them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Don't go mad as others have said. Took me a few weeks to loosen up and get into it. I ran every other day no more than 2 miles at a time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts