Runners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I am a relatively new runner, started around September 2020 and managed to get up to running around 3 miles, 3 times a week by Christmas. During Christmas though, I started to feel unwell due to having the flu vaccine so I stopped running for a couple of weeks, when I started to run again, I was fine the first couple of times, but my legs felt stiff and I felt a lot of pain the days after. I wasn't too worried as I did take a small break, so I just put it down to my muscles getting used to it again.
Although, a couple of weeks went by and I found that I couldn't run as much as I used to be able to, like I was only able to do 3 miles 2 times a week and the other time I wasn't even able to do 1.5 at points, but my pace was getting better, so I put it down to that. Then, my legs started to feel weaker and weaker during and after my run, which caused me to start running less and less. I then went to the hospital and they suggested I had shin splints. After this, I stopped running totally for about 4-5 weeks, which was recommended by the doctor.
My first run back after being injured went very well, I was able to run what I wanted to without pushing myself, but ever since then I haven't been able to run for more then 5 minutes! I have slowed down to only running once a week to see if that improved it, but I am still not able to run for more than 5 minutes (due to my legs feeling weak, NOT painful)
I really don't know what to do, Any advice would be amazing :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Take it easy. Dont set goals that are too high. Walk for 5 minutes, then run slowly until your breathing starts to get heavier then back to walk. Repeat. As a relative beginner, you should never try to get out of breatrh. Not only will this help develop your aerobic energy system, it will give all of you body chance to catch up with what your brain wants it to do. Many runners go too fast when training.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Take it easy. Dont set goals that are too high. Walk for 5 minutes, then run slowly until your breathing starts to get heavier then back to walk. Repeat. As a relative beginner, you should never try to get out of breatrh. Not only will this help develop your aerobic energy system, it will give all of you body chance to catch up with what your brain wants it to do. Many runners go too fast when training.
Thank you so much :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts