Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How do I get out of this?
I started jogging 2 years ago, and did it very simply and happily:
I just jogged 30 minutes 4 days a week (and 2 days of 30 min weight-training, which I do hard as well…as hard as my runs), at first I alternated walk and run until I could run the 30 minutes as I progressively lost my excess 22Kg.

All was happy till I noticed that…my times didn’t improve!. So I thought: “am I running too fast?”...so I got a heart-rate meter last week and did my usual 30min run…the meter said I ran at an average 85% of my Maximum Heart Rate…which is what I suspected, I always ran nearly as fast as I could, never able to run and talk.

My fitness is much better now and I’m otherwise quite happy…but I guess I’m stuck (not sure if the term burnt-out would apply). I even find it strange I haven’t injured myself.

I thought of: either taking up some online coaching (which I find expensive…about £60/monthly) or reading on this, but I don’t want to give this much more time.

My purpose is to improve my fitness as much as possible without exercising more than those weekly 30 minutes x 4 days + 2 weight sessions, no races intended, just to feel good.

I’d welcome any thoughts on this before I go to a coach…if I have to.

Male
Weight: 80Kg
Height: 187cm

·
4,358 Posts
My coach used to say "Train the same and you'll stay the same".
Try mixing the training up a little, some shorter faster and some longer slower runs.

·
Registered
66 Posts
All was happy till I noticed that…my times didn’t improve!. So I thought: “am I running too fast?”...so I got a heart-rate meter last week and did my usual 30min run…the meter said I ran at an average 85% of my Maximum Heart Rate…which is what I suspected, I always ran nearly as fast as I could, never able to run and talk.
Running at 85% of max is a pretty poor plan. Running as fast as you can - wrong. Never able to run a talk - bad approach.

As I have said to many runners, run slower to go faster. Run at an easy pace, so you dont ever get out of breath or even near to it. You should be able to talk continuously.

Google 'run slower to run faster'. Loads of info. for example How Slow Running Can Make You a Quicker Runner – Men's Running UK

I am a running coach

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Running at 85% of max is a pretty poor plan. Running as fast as you can - wrong. Never able to run a talk - bad approach.

As I have said to many runners, run slower to go faster. Run at an easy pace, so you dont ever get out of breath or even near to it. You should be able to talk continuously.

Google 'run slower to run faster'. Loads of info. for example How Slow Running Can Make You a Quicker Runner – Men's Running UK

I am a running coach
You’re absolutely right, today for the first time I’ve ran in zone 3, which felt like a snail pace, next day I’ll try even slower in zone 2 (maybe a walk?). I’ll do some recovery days and then will devise some mixed training and run always below burnout. I'll try losing 4 kilos too.
I’ll read that article. Super-thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I am a running coach
Great advice, I'm running in zone 3 now and trying to learn to run in zone 2 which I feel too slow. then I'll build up to faster 5K runs little by little.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts