Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am a 40 year old male and have been running for about 18 months now. I generally run for about 25-30 mins 2/3 times per week. I guess I cover a distance of about 3/3.5 miles each time.

My problem is that I don't seem to be able to run any further than that. By the time I finish my 'circuit' I am absolutely spent of energy and can't run any further, even though I would like to able to increase both the distance and time that I run. What should I do to achieve this? Should I walk for 5 mins once I feel I can't run any further, and then continue running after that for another 5 mins say?

Any advice would be a great help.

Thanks in advance.
Nick

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi Nick,

I would suggest the following:

1. The distance that you run is all relative, ie, if you go out tomorrow and say I'm going to run my "circuit" that is what you'll run. Why not the next time you go out say "I'll run two circuits" and keep that in your head. Mind over matter. It's easy to get stuck in a rut when you run the same loop all of the time.

2. Are you carrying a drink? - it maybe that you're simply not hydrated especially in this hot weather.

3. Why not slow down a little and see how far you can mange then.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Nick

3-3.5 miles in 25-30 minutes is actually quite fast for a "bog standard" run. If you feel knackered after it it very clearly shows that this is too fast for you. I think you need to slow right down. It may feel awkward at first, as if you're barely faster than walking, but speed will come naturally, later.
I would hazard the (fairly educated) guess that if you can run 3-3.5 miles in 25-30 minutes, you can comfortably run for 1 hour, and cover 5 miles, if you reduce your speed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Cheryl and Greg,

Many thanks for your advice.

Greg - I have tried what you suggested and slowed my pace down. You are absolutely right in that it feels as though I am barely faster than walking, but, it has had the desired effect. I ran last night for 35-40 mins and for the first time didn't feel as though I was going to pass out on my feet. I certainly felt as though I had had a 'good workout' and I'm sure that if I had pushed myself I could have run for longer.

My question is how hard should I be pushing myself when I run? Is backing off the pace still doing me any good? Should I buy myself a heart rate monitor to guage how much harder I can push myself? What is a good or realistic goal to aim for now? Maybe a 5 mile run and then aim to bring down the time? If so, how do I do this.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Regards
Nick

·
Registered
419 Posts
Enter a race!
Enter a race!
Enter a race!
Enter a race!
Enter a race!
Enter a race!

Maybe a 5km or at most a 10km. There are plenty around - try Runners World Event Search or the event listing Admin provides here?

Race your heart out. Get a PB

Then take a month or two more of training and then.........

Enter another race! Beat the PB.

Then....

(I don't think I need to tell you, do I?) :)

Racing will give you something to aim for - and (before you ask) there will be many slower, fatter, older, less fit people in that race than you!

Do it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Hollywood,

Thanks for the advice. Maybe a race is the way to go. If I were to get a heart rate monitor (good idea?) what would be my optimum heart rate to improve my running abilities?

Thanks for your help.

Nick

·
Registered
30 Posts
garmin

Hi, I too used to have the problem of how far and how fast to go. I'm still struggling to get back after another injury but I find that since I got my Garmin at Xmas, it tells me what to do. I have the Garmin 301 which has a HRM integrated. I wouldn't be without it as it tells me everything including what zone I'm in as far as my heart rate goes. Otherwise you can get HRM's quite cheaply now. Look on e bay.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Rebel,

Thanks for the advice. I will certianly check out the Garmin 301. I guess someone will let me know what is the optimum HR to improve my running fitness.

NIck

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
If you look on runners world there is a guide that tells you how to use a HRM - they is a formula to calculate your heart rate etc but some HRM do this for you based on some basic stats age, sex, weight. I want one too but I've had an expensive month so far.

BTW you should't increase your mileage by more than 10% each week and instead of mileage you could consider running by time i.e. this week my target is to run for 45 mins, 50 mins, 1hr etc.

Garmins are expensive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts