Runners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This kind of follows on from another topic and post.

Just now I am 26 and really enjoying running, as you know I enjoy the longer races / runs and don't really do short distance (not yet anyway). I'm running mostly on the road or pavements and this has to take its toll on your knees. So, my question is, are you actually damaging our knees for when you are older i.e. will we look back and think, damn it was good running those races but I wish I would bend my knees without any pain!

O.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I don't think it does enough damage for you to worry about... essentially YES running WILL cause wear on your knees, becuase it uses your knees... but if you bear in mind that thanks to running you're much lighter and healthier, then will it cause your knees to be any worse off if you were living a far less healthy lifestyle and carrying a lot more weight around?

Will we moan? perhaps... but surely it's better to be moaning about achey knees in your 80's than croaking it in your fifties thanks to obesity and heart failure ;)

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
It depends on whether you believe what you read O.

In one of the last few editions of a popular running mag. It was claimed that tests were carried out between people that had been running consistantly over many years against those that didn't run.

The results showed that those that did run were actually suffering less with joint trouble and related symptoms when compared to those that didn't run.

running also increases your bone density according to what I've read.

So I reckon that you're better off being a runner than not.:d

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In that case Im off for a run :) Well, no Im not actually because todays a rest day.

When you think about it, I guess a 25stone person is bound to do a lot more damage to their knees than a 15stone runner......

Keep on running it is then :)

O.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
hurrah :d

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Keep on running it is then :) O.
Aye, but if you'll take my advice, your knees will last longer if you do the bulk of your running off-road. Race on roads by all means. Train on a track, if you can. But for your bread and butter mileage your knees will be happier if they're kept away from pavements and tarmac.
Cheers!

·
Registered
264 Posts
I don't find it that different but most of my off-road loops are very flat. I do run slower when running over grass than I do a pavement/road but I've only noticed this since looking at my GPS. Not sure if everyone does this though. Apart from that, I don't notice any difference.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The problem I have is all my routes are roads, actually no, thats not true. I have one route up through the woods but most of it is roads.

O.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I definately run slower across grass, though short grass doesn't make too much of a difference. My tuesday club runs tend to go across fields and generally stick off-road while the weather and terrain isn't too muddy (not that it bothers me - but most of the club only run on the road in the winter).

·
Registered
674 Posts
I'm not very lucky with offroad routes where I am - am I right in thinking if you have the choice of road or footway you should choose the road? More give in ashphalt than tarmac?

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
I agree with Hot Foot and Lizzy, as for off road for some of the tracks I've done you need stong ankles as there is always a risk of turning one and spraining it. If however you stick to sensible tracks you will suffer far less than on roads.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
What about hard packed mud though? Where the ground has dried solid? there doesn't seem to be much give in that? Thinking about it, half my off-road runs include a fair bit of hard packed dried mud :s

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I don't mind the hard packed mud, its the wet slippery stuff that can make you fall that worries me!

Strangely, my legs only give me problems on Sunday morning runs, I think it's because I've only been up for an hour and my muscles haven't woken up.

I find that running on the grass verges beside the foopath in my local park help to take the stress of my legs. It definately makes the runs more enjoyable, when I don't have shin splints for the first few miles.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts